Custom kernel

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Sarvatt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Have you never used bootchart before? It only tracks up until gdm starts, I'm talking about the kernel portion of the boot process not the post boot bloat loading that can be avoided and is drastically different depending which graphical environment you run :D Wireless is done associating at 37 seconds which is about when the desktop is finished loading (kernel done at 17 seconds) if I boot normally into gnome though. This is on karmic with everything installed and the stock 2.6.30-rc4 kernel. I'm on an AOA150 120gb model..

Sarvatt, May 1, 2009
  2. Sarvatt

csmo

Alright, Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant to full desktop within 21 seconds. :D

csmo, May 1, 2009
  3. Sarvatt

tomt

Thanks Sarvatt

Looks like it's booting a little faster with the new kernel.
    I'll kill a couple of unneeded services and see how I get on :)

Thanks again

tomt, May 2, 2009
  4. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Sarvatt, May 3, 2009
  5. Sarvatt

tomt

Hi Sarvatt

can you advise how I can add the intel atom support to this:
    http://launchpadlibrarian.net/26201996/ ... 3_i386.deb
    For my D150 Acer One (10.1" Screen)

Also when that kernel starts I get a fail at AppArmor, but the D150 seems to run OK.. Should I be worried about that ??

tomt, May 3, 2009
  6. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

It was a bit buggy, so I fixed it up and reuploaded it as of right now, 9:49PM EST 05/03/2009 incase anyone grabbed it earlier.

Depends what you mean by support, it should support it just fine. Apparmor fail is no big deal, they haven't even included it in karmic's 2.6.30 kernels because it isn't compatable yet.

Sarvatt, May 4, 2009
  7. Sarvatt

tomt

Thanks for the info on AppArmor..
    I thought there was more streamlined support for the atom, not just the general CPU ranges..

Another quick question.. Would stripping all the un needed device support from a kernel help to speed it up ??

tomt, May 4, 2009
  8. Sarvatt

vililikku

vililikku, May 4, 2009
  9. Sarvatt

SlCKB0Y

Dear Sarvatt,

Would you like to help with kuki.me?

I think we should combine our knowledge for the community and produce the ultimate kernel for kuki and ubuntu.

My major problem was as follows: To create a kernel compatible with both livecd and remastersys (what they use to produce kuki) it needs squashfs, loop, and aufs.

No matter what I tried, compilation always failed on aufs. It's quite possible i'm doing something stupid, and you seem to have more of a detailed knowledge of the ins ands outs of the kernel.

I can contribute my time, knowledge and domain (www.aspireonekernel.com) to this cause :)

I hope to hear from you soon

Stu

SlCKB0Y, May 4, 2009
  10. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

You can just grab ubuntu's patches from here, they've updated aufs to work fine on 2.6.30 -

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/u ... ;a=summary

squashfs is merged with mainline now so that shouldnt be a problem. right now I don't see much of a point making a seperate release of the kernel based on linus's source since ubuntu has a really nice up to date one you can use as a base with all the ubuntu specific changes to it. the mainline-ppa kernels aren't as good as karmic's as they disabled all of the ubuntu specific patches in it and are just making generic releases based off jaunty's 2.6.28 configs. making a kernel that supports everything people will need is no easy task as you well know and I'm of the opinion it'd be better to base things off of ubuntu's work and change userland defaults around instead of dropping all of the bug fixes ubuntu adds that take forever to make it upstream. when ubuntu stops tracking the latest kernels and starts targetting stable patches is when I'll start building my own again though :D

If they used -march=atom for lpia packages I would consider switching, but there isnt that much of a difference now outside of not including some things that dont get loaded anyway in the kernel.. Post karmic I'm sure they will change things around to do that so I'll be making the switch then.

Sarvatt, May 4, 2009
  11. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

This is still buggy I'm finding. it keeps kernel mode longer with my change but it still eventually fails reading the fan state and drops kernel mode and ends up cycling the fan on and off every interval. I'll post a new one when its fixed, doesn't seem like he's updating the ones on his website to match the ones getting sent to the linux kernel mailing list. Also it could just be a problem with the gateway bios I'm using, not sure if it works right for acer bioses.

Sarvatt, May 4, 2009
  12. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

I take back what I said about LPIA, in karmic now they are using -march=atom by default in gcc 4.4. Time for me to switch :)

Sarvatt, May 6, 2009
  13. Sarvatt

Skumpic

Hi sarvatt, i'm using your kernel on my aao but every time i boot i get this warning message:

[ 0.175051] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
    [ 0.175051] cfg80211: calling CRDA failed - unable to update world regulatory domain, using static definition

I have checked and already installed the package wireless-crda on my jaunty.
    I have also fixed the udev rules as explained in this bug tracing:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/336915

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!!!

Skumpic, May 13, 2009
  14. Sarvatt

cvision76

Please, I need your help Sarvatt!
    I installed your latest kernel image and headers using "dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.30-rc3-atom_042309.Sarvatt_i386.deb".
    After a reboot with your kernel my AAO froze at splash screen (I think it's called)! I didn't bother - rebooted again using the sickboy kernel. Now I can't find any way to remove the your kernel and headers. I thought i just had to run "dpkg -r linux-image-2.6.30-rc3-atom_042309.Sarvatt_i386.deb" but that doesn't remove anything, only giving error messages.
    How do I remove your kernel???

cvision76, May 13, 2009
  15. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Thats most likely because you didn't disable KMS like I said many times in here.. as for removing it, just sudo apt-get purge inux-image-2.6.30-rc3-atom.

Sarvatt, May 14, 2009
  16. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Sheesh, right when I was about to wipe my install out and switch to LPIA they go and make it a generic intel architecture instead of atom specific and dropped all of the atom patches and tuning. They even switched to march=pentium-m mtune=i586 for broader support of the few old celeron netbooks which is very bad on atoms..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/376499

Sarvatt, May 15, 2009
  17. Sarvatt

sjpn

thanks for the kernel. very nice. i was wondering if i should set my gcc to gcc-4.4 since this kernel was compiled with 4.4. Also, I was wondering if anyone got vmware player to work with this kernel. I set gcc sym link to /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 while vmplayer tries to make its modules, but it complains and doesn't finish.
    Thanks

sjpn, Jun 4, 2009
  18. Sarvatt

vililikku

Hi Sarvatt!

Have you started again building the new kernels with Intel Atom optimizations?

vililikku, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question