custom ubuntu distro for the aa1?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by paalfe, Aug 31, 2008.

1. paalfe

axcairns

I noticed OneLinux has decided to go with XFCE as it's desktop environment. I am disappointed as I am a big fan of netbook remix.

axcairns, Sep 8, 2008
  2. paalfe

camberwell

My wifi did not work out the box... :(

it has a popup saying unsupported drivers are in use, but the second driver has a red dot saying not being used?

i am a bit of a linux noob but any ideas?

camberwell, Sep 8, 2008
  3. paalfe

organisys

hello, is a Belkin mini bluetooth adapter likely to work 'out of the box' with this distro?

organisys, Sep 8, 2008
  4. paalfe

brad0022

Im a noob too.

Same thing happened to me. I accidently installed it on my thumb drive the first time. WiFi worked off that boot drive. Then I wised up and installed it on the SSD and WiFi would not work. I got the same error as you. Funny thing is when I leave the thumb drive in with the installed Ubuntu WiFi works. I guess Im running it off the thumb drive.

I was dissapointed cause I thought it was supposed to be Netbook Remix version like the screen shots show. WTF?

brad0022, Sep 8, 2008
  5. paalfe

lusephur

restricted drivers in use? and you open the menu and see a red dot?
    ok, first off, i haven't used the onelinux yet, but can you be a little clearer?
    can someone confirm what it looks like?
    if it's like the restricted drivers menu used in ubuntu since (i think) gutsy (been a while a a few distros have been used since)
    simply tick the box beside the red dot and reboot if asked, and that should (hopefully) enable the restricted ath5k/madwifi (not sure what the developers use) modules/drivers.

lusephur, Sep 8, 2008
  6. paalfe

camberwell

It looks exactly like this,

[​IMG]

I cant click to activate it as its already ticked. Me is most confused....

camberwell, Sep 8, 2008
  7. paalfe

brad0022

Ok my update to this WiFi not working dilemma is that I changed the boot order which I forgot to do last night. I changed it to the SSD from the thumb drive. Ubuntu booted and the WiFi worked. I don't get it but now Im happy.

camberwell, see if this helps. Might be something else but check on that.

brad0022, Sep 9, 2008
  8. paalfe

brad0022

So whats the story with Netbook Remix? Is Netbook Remix availible to download? If so is it easy or hard to install it. Do install on top of Onelinux Ubuntu?

brad0022, Sep 9, 2008
  9. paalfe

scottro

I'm giving the Ubuntu one a try now (installing as I type.) Wireless worked when booted from the live USB--I assume they're including the MadWifi snapshots that work with the card. (The card will work once everyone moves up to the 2.6.27 kernel--Ubuntu and Fedora's respective alphas are both using 2.6.27 and wireless will work, in those, with the builtin ath5k drivers.)

I'll see if this one is worthwhile--I'm more a Fedora than Ubuntu person, but Fedora hasn't really made a "Made for the Aspire One" spin yet.

scottro, Sep 9, 2008
  10. paalfe

camberwell

Thanks for this brad. - Yes the wifi does work when i boot off the live usb.

However it doesn't work after i install from the live usb! Why? I I don't want to carry a usb about with me all day. get the pic above...

organsys -- my cheap small bluetooth adaptor worked out the box if thats any help.

camberwell, Sep 9, 2008
  11. paalfe

gadgetmind

I'm seeing something similar but wifi doesn't work for me when booting the OneLinux Beta from a USB stick.

No way do I want to install to SSD if I risk having wifi not working! Which is a shame as I'm already getting irritated with Linpus. Too odd and too broken.

Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 9, 2008
  12. paalfe

spinnekopje

Is there a way to try the onelinux version without usb device or external cd/dvd? I don't have them, but I want to give it a try. A repository with debs that change a standard ubuntu into onelinux would be nice...

For now I used a script to perform a network install from normal ubuntu with the petaramesh kernel...

spinnekopje, Sep 9, 2008
  13. paalfe

gadgetmind

I certainly wouldn't risk that! USB sticks are very cheap and jolly useful.
    Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 9, 2008
  14. paalfe

axcairns

Check out the wiki

axcairns, Sep 9, 2008
  15. paalfe

ch33syguy

To everyone whose wifi works when booting off the usb, but not when you install; try installing again, Both times I've installed OneLinux on my One, the first install didn't have working wifi, but when I reinstalled, it was working perfectly.

ch33syguy, Sep 9, 2008
  16. paalfe

axcairns

Should I reformat as part of the reinstall?

axcairns, Sep 10, 2008
  17. paalfe

dkazoch

I had the same issue, but I installed the drivers, and since then it works perfectly. I followed the guide here. (Just the part with the Wifi)

http://dawhoo.com/blog/how-to-install-k ... spire-one/

dkazoch, Sep 10, 2008
  18. paalfe

stiano

So what are the immediate advantages of onelinux versus plain ubnutu hardy on the Aspire One?

stiano, Oct 3, 2008
  19. paalfe

donec

I also found I had problems with Onelinux-beta-1 getting wifi to work when I installed from a USB stick. I also had some issues with mounting USB sticks when the install came from the USB stick. However! when I installed from the live CD via an external CD drive the only problems OOB (Out Of the Box) were the suspend didn't work (hibernate does work), system sounds could not be heard but music sound worked fine and the SD card reader does not work unless the disk is inserted at boot.

donec, Oct 4, 2008
  20. paalfe

N6546R

I'm starting to wonder if Onelinux is dead. There's been no packages to download for almost three weeks now, and I haven't seen much in the way of actual work on the project on the #onelinux IRC channel. Beta 3, which was uninstallable and removed after a few hours from the Onlelinux site, was actually fairly stable (I managed to pull it down before it was removed and got it installed by hand), but now that Ubuntu 8.10 Beta is out there doesn't seem to be much of a point. Petaramesh's kernel works just fine until the official Ubuntu-built kernel catches up.

It would of course be nice to have a slimmed down kernel optimized for the Atom, but Petaramesh is close. I don't know if he used the Atom-specific compiler switches. Maybe the correct course is to build a small package that installs things on top of stock Ubuntu such as acerfand, ath_pci, and updates rc.local to run the syndaemon touchpad daemon, instead of a separate AAO distribution.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 4, 2008
Ask a Question