D250 - Webcam not working under Win7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by elPaulio, Nov 17, 2010.

1. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and I can't seem to get my webcam to work.

I have tried downloading a multitude of drivers from the Acer web site but I am unsure which ones actually relate to my AAO.

I seem to be able to see it in Device Manager and everything seems to be ok, but I cannot get it to initialise or show any images.
    In XP it was easy, the webcam was on My Computer and you just double clicked on that and it showed it working.

My questions are:
    1) is it possible to find out what model of webcam I have based on my D250 model/serial number?
    2) What is the best way to check that the webcam is working in Windows 7?

Cheers

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Nov 17, 2010
  2. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

G'day elPaulio

My D250 is the black/brushed silver one. KAV60, barcode is worn off so I can't get my serial number for ya unless I go into the BIOS, I might have time to do that for you later. I am running Widows 7 Ultimate x86. All hardware is stock except for my RAM upgrade.

I never installed drivers for my webcam after upgrading to Win 7, it's just in Device Manager as "USB Camera".

Hardware ID's:
    USB\VID_0C45&PID_62C0&REV_0100&MI_00
    USB\VID_0C45&PID_62C0&MI_00
    Compatible ID's:
    USB\Class_0e&SubClass_03&Prot_00
    USB\Class_0e&SubClass_03
    USB\Class_0e

I can't find much other useful information, and have googled the hardware ID's to no avail. I'd try the different drivers on the Acer support site, but don't really need to. Device Manager says the USB Camera is working fine and it is. I've used it with Windows Live Messenger. Just open it, sign in, and use the Audio/Video Settings Wizard in the tools menu to check that it's functioning.

Swarvey, Nov 19, 2010
  3. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

How do, how do??

Yeah, I have the KAV60 but in Red and I have the same Hardware ID's as you have too.

Checked with Acer and apparantly it is the Sunyin camera that I have. But in Device Manager mines shows up as USB Video Device. All says it is working fine with the Microsoft Drivers. But Windows Live still will not connect to the Webcam.

Tried Uninstalling the camera numerous times and trying to run the Windows 7 Sunyin Acer software/driver (although I can't actually see a driver in the files that you download from Acer!) but still comes up with the same.

Bit flumoxed as to why this isn't working :evil:

elPaulio, Nov 26, 2010
  4. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Yeah the software for download isn't actually a driver, to me it's basically a test program. All it does is attach to any available webcam (and probably other video sources such as USB capture devices) and output the image. You can probably take still photo's etc with it. But otherwise useless, I never bothered installing it.

The only thing I do to test that it's working is to run the audio/video setup in Windows Live Messenger (and select USB Camera from the drop down list on the webcam settings screen). You could try the software from the Acer site to test it. I would imagine if there were any hardware issues, device manager would let you know.

Swarvey, Nov 26, 2010
  5. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hey,

Yeah, from what I remember on XP it is basically another test program.
    The problem is that neither that or Windows Live are connecting to the camera but in device manager it says all is fine!!

Grrr.... I hate this, it's been years since I've not been able to get something working after a couple of hours... bloody thing!!

I shall persevere for I shall not be beaten by this ;)

::edit:: What driver are you using? Mines is as follows
    [​IMG]

elPaulio, Nov 28, 2010
  6. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hi Swarvey,

Any word on your driver version??

Cheers in advance mate ;)

elPaulio, Dec 9, 2010
  7. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Sorry mate, been busy repairing my HTC phone and rebuilding software for it. then the screen busted again so I've been even more busy buying a new one and rebuilding the software for it. I'll get back to you RE the driver version after I've done the morning rituals LOL.

Here 'tis
    [​IMG]

Swarvey, Dec 12, 2010
  8. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hi mate,

Cheers for getting back with the details... know the feeling with the phone, had a similar scenario with an iPod Touch a couple of months ago... those pesky screens are far to fragile ;)

Hmm... well, I was hoping you would have had some wonder driver that was totally different from mines but alas, that appears to not be the case.

I wonder if I should re-partition a small section and install XP just to check that the camera is actually working before I go and chase a faulty camera in software... This is a decision for when I am considerably more awake than I am just now!

Cheers once again

elPaulio, Dec 13, 2010
  9. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hey Swarvey,

How's tricks?
    Still trying to get my webcam working... have tried an XP partition and Mac OS 10.6.6 but neither seem to work.

Have had a further look into the driver status in Windows 7 and I wonder if you can check one thing for me?

Under Power Data in the Details tab of the driver I have the following:

Current power state:
    D3

Power capabilities:
    PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D0_SUPPORTED

Power state mappings:
    S0 -> D0
    S1 -> D2
    S2 -> D2
    S3 -> D2
    S4 -> D2
    S5 -> D3

Now I think the first section is the important one that the webcam is in state D3 (i.e. powered off!!)
    Can you check if your power state is something else?

Cheers

Paul
    :ugeek:

elPaulio, Feb 2, 2011
  10. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

G'day Paul,

Tricks are going well, got my brand new HTC HD2 and cooked an awesome dual boot WinMo/Android ROM for it, so back to my spare time LOL.

Here's my cam's power details, while not being used in any programs

Current power state:
    D3

Power capabilities:
    PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED

Power state mappings:
    S0 -> D0
    S1 -> D2
    S2 -> D2
    S3 -> D2
    S4 -> D2
    S5 -> D3

I would post the difference while it's workin in MSN or something or other, but for some reason now I'm getting messages about closing other programs that may be using it. Maybe mine's finally bit the dust.

I'll keep trying n get back to ya on that one.

Swarvey, Feb 2, 2011
  11. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hey hey,

Sounds good on the HD2!!

Lol, typical isn't it? Just when you think you've got it all working it goes and throws a wobbler ;)

If you can post up when its working that'd be great :)

Have dropped a post on Microsoft forums regarding it as im pretty sure this D3 has everything to do with the problem. Just need to figure out how to force it to D0...

Cheers

elPaulio, Feb 2, 2011
  12. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Okay, just uninstaled it from device manager, scanned for new hardware and it successfully reinstalled without a problem. But it still won't work in any applications. I'll hunt around and see what I can come up with. I don't use it that much, but now that its not working I wanna make it work lol.

Swarvey, Feb 2, 2011
  13. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

I'm glad its not just me that has that mentality :)

Out of curiosity, have you upgraded your Wi-Fi card? I'm starting to think that maybe this is involved with the problem as I think the webcam has something to do with the USB channel on the internal PCIe port that the wireless card goes into.

Could be barking up completely the wrng tree, but I'm going to try and put my original card back in at lunch time to prove/disprove the above.

Cheers

Paul
    :ugeek:

elPaulio, Feb 3, 2011
  14. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

nope, haven't upgraded anything in my D250 'cept the RAM and the battery. I know this cam has been working in MSN recently, but I haven't checked any other programs, so that's my next step.

Okay, it's working in Windows Live Movie Maker right now, took a fair few seconds to initialise though, I've still got the image up, checking it's power state in device manager....

Power Data while cam is in use:
    Current power state:
    D0

Power capabilities:
    PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED

Power state mappings:
    S0 -> D0
    S1 -> D2
    S2 -> D2
    S3 -> D2
    S4 -> D2
    S5 -> D3

Swarvey, Feb 3, 2011
  15. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Morning mate,

Well, slight progress has been made.
    Windows Live Movie Maker will take my webcam out of D3 into D0 mode. But it comes up with an error saying it cannot access the webcam, might be in use by other app..blah...blah!

Can you do me a favour and run this http://global-download.acer.com/FilesDo ... ection.exe just to check that you have the same Suyin camera and not one of the other two option for the KAV60 D250?

Just want to make sure we are not chasing a hardware/software issue with two different types of camera :)

Cheers

elPaulio, Feb 4, 2011
  16. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

My cam appears to be LiteOn

[​IMG]

Swarvey, Feb 4, 2011
  17. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hey Swarvey,

Hmm... well, I guess that now poses the question as to whether the Suyin camera will work under Win 7!!
    I wonder if it is worth my while just buying a new camera module of a model which will defintely work under 7?
    As it appears to not be working under the XP partition either so maybe I do have a hardware fault after all.... arggh......

How did you get on getting yours to work with MSN Messenger?

elPaulio, Feb 7, 2011
  18. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hey Swarvey,

Just thought I'd drop a quick update on the webcam issue.
    I've been sending logs to Microsoft in a view to getting Windows Live Movie Maker to work but have given up on this and have installed a LiteOn camera I got on eBay.

Pulled the bezel back whilst windows was on and unplugged the Sunyin camera and re-plugged it back in, no change.
    Plugged in the LiteOn one and worked instantly!

So, looks like a hardware/camera bios issue. Can't be bothered to do any more with the Suyin one, but will keep it incase the LiteOn breaks in the future and can try and flash it or repair it.

Not quite the answer I wanted, but at least I now have a working camera :)

elPaulio, Mar 17, 2011
  19. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Cool, glad to hear ya got it working. Mine decided to start functioning again for some reason, so if ur liteon cam does fail, just give it a few days and it might come back online.

I'm doing the same, when the old AAO I had died (weird clicking sound from the motherboard) i stripped out the WiFi card and antennae, cam, the RAM, everything which wasn't hard wired to the motherboard and kept it for spares in case I ever need it. Always good to have spares layin around.

Swarvey, Mar 17, 2011
  20. elPaulio

El Matarife

El Matarife, Apr 1, 2011
Ask a Question