D250 Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by OldGuy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy

I updated the BIOS in my D250 yesterday to 1.07 and then decided to stop by Office Depot after seeing some Kingston 667 RAM on sale for $29 for a 2 GB stick. After putting the new memory in, the system wouldn't boot. I took the Kingston memory out and put the original 1GB stick back in, but it still won't boot. I get the power light on, I can hear the fan, and the disk light blinks, but it won't power up. Is there a way to reset the CMOS or anything to see if that will fix it. I saw threads about putting a copy of the BIOS on a bootable USB stick, but I can't try that since I can't unpack the actual BIOS file from the winflash file. Any suggestions?

OldGuy, Aug 12, 2009
  2. OldGuy

ashram

you can use winrar (rarlabs.com) the extract the bios (and everything else) from acer's bios flash file...

ashram, Aug 12, 2009
  3. OldGuy

Queen-6

I had a similar issue when upgrading to 2Gb, with the Netbook only powering up with blank screen & fan. Dont do anything with the BIOS just yet. Swapping the ram module will not effect the BIOS alone, if the computer booted under 1.07 with 1Gb ok, then it will boot with 2Gb. I did have a separate issue with the D250 spontainiously rebooting under BIOS 1.07, and have subsequently stepped back to 1.06 with no problem so far, however I dont see these two issues being related.

Remove the battery and let the computer sit for 20-30 min or so, make sure you are grounded before you touch the RAM modules, especially if the conditions are very dry or you are running AC 24/7 (little humidity), swap out the RAM module. I had to do this 3-4 time before the system would boot. I suspect the D250 is a little more sensitive to ESD (electrostatic discharge) and this resulted in a lock up at a low level. Once the system does start it will be fine, and you should see no further occurrences.

Q-6

Queen-6, Aug 13, 2009
Ask a Question