D260 - Can't Enable Broadcom WLAN - HDD moved from D150

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gamezgirl, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gamezgirl

gamezgirl

Guess I shouldn't hijack the other thread. Brought a D260 with XP but I moved my HDD from D150 with win7 to this. Everything works now I think but the wireless card. It can't be enabled. From the device manager it is but when I check Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections - it is disabled and I can't enable it. Right click and select Enable - a window pops up saying it is Enabling... but it disappears and nothing happens.

With Diagnose option I get this error message:
    "There might be a problem with the driver for this Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter" expands to "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocal stack to the network adapter"

Side question: which 3G driver, Bluetooth driver and Webcam app do I install since there's 2-3 different kinds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
    There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter
    There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter
    Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter. Detected
    Set up the wireless network adapter Completed
    The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter Detected

Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.
    Set up the wireless network adapter Completed

Set up the network adapter to communicate with this network. This ensures that both Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) can be used on the network adapter.
    Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 86C3262B-3B7D-44C3-852F-D3C90967A0C6.Repair.Admin.1.etl

The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems Completed

Windows Help and Support can provide more information about resolving driver or hardware issues.

Detection details

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
    Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Wireless Network Connection 2 driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom
    Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom
    Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 5.60.350.6
    Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem29.inf
    Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 10, 2011 3:35:49 AM
    Section Name . . . . . . . . . : BCM43XNG20_NT61
    Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_14e4&dev_4727
    Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
    Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
    IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71
    Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9

Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 86C3262B-3B7D-44C3-852F-D3C90967A0C6.Diagnose.Admin.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
    File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
    Computer Name: NSCI-PC
    Windows Version: 6.1
    Architecture: x86
    Time: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:41:34 PM

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics
    Detects problems with network connectivity.
    Package Version: 1.0
    Publisher: Microsoft Windows

gamezgirl, Jan 11, 2011
  2. gamezgirl

Swarvey Moderator

You might want to goto your device manager, remove the WiFi card (including drivers if it asks), reboot the machine and allow windows to re-install the card. If you need drivers for it you can get them at the Acer Support website.

As for which driver to install, unless you know for sure which hardware you have, your best bet is to download and install them one at a time. Don't worry about filling your computer with "junk" or "bloat" by doing this, nine times out of ten if the driver installation program doesn't detect the appropriate hardware, it WON'T install anything. There may be some temp files left over, but the regular maintenance you do on your computer will clean them up in no time.

Swarvey, Jan 12, 2011
  3. gamezgirl

gamezgirl

It picked up the Broadcom hardware again and it didn't help. But I noticed this time that the Enabling... moved on to Enabled in the window but it still appeared as Disabled in the Network Connections page

gamezgirl, Jan 15, 2011
  4. gamezgirl

Swarvey Moderator

Have a look in the downloads section on the Acer site for your model, chances are that you need to download and install Acer ePowerManagement to enable the WiFi card properly.

Swarvey, Jan 16, 2011
  5. gamezgirl

gamezgirl

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ePowerManagement and it still isn't working. Is the wifi card set incorrectly?

I'll try now to setup the winXP OS on the original HDD and see if it helps.

Other odd issues I'm having is that when I start the netbook for the first time after a long while I might get this:
    No bootable device --- Please restart system -> it's odd because I don't have the option to press F2 to go into BIOS either. Usually I'll enter the BIOS and the HDD is there when I manually restart the system.

And sometimes the screen just blanks out for a few seconds - it has done that for both the original HDD and the one I moved over from AOD150

gamezgirl, Jan 16, 2011
  6. gamezgirl

gamezgirl

It works on the original HDD with winXP and it's a Broadcom network card. Why doesn't it work on the other HDD. Could I somehow copy the winXP over to win&7?

Note: on the D150 HDD I have ubuntu installed also and the wifi doesn't work there also.

Drivers I have installed for the Broadcom device: (all withing C:\Windows\system32)
    bcmihvsrv.dll
    bcmihvui.dll
    bcmwlcoi.dll
    drivers\BCMVL6.SYS
    drivers\vwifibus.sys -> this one seems odd, is it conflicting with something? It's the only one not provided by Broadcom but Microsoft itself. Could I uninstall it somehow? Is there anyone with D260 confirm these are correct?

The original winXP has only one driver: drivers\BCMWL5.sys which is for 5.60.350.6

gamezgirl, Jan 16, 2011
  7. gamezgirl

gamezgirl

Finally solved the problem by following the advice here - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 7524a6c5ae
    • 1. Enter safe mode and uninstall the device/delete drivers and uninstall Broadcom drivers
      2. Reenter safe mode and install the Broadcom drivers

No idea why it only worked if I did this all in safe mode and not outside of it. I'm using kaspersky and there was mentions that it was conflicting with something but safe mode thing worked.

gamezgirl, Jan 20, 2011
Ask a Question