Dead left-channel audio/speaker on AOA110 / ZG5 (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by 3pac, Jan 31, 2009.

1. 3pac

3pac

No sound in left speaker or headphone

Whatever I do, watch a movie, listen to a song or watch a movie online, there is only sound in my right speaker. And even if I use headphones there is only audio in the right one. What should I do about this? It was working on a few websites some time ago but now it never works.

3pac, Jan 31, 2009
  2. 3pac

Jerm78

Woe is me

While watching a video that has a part where the audio is all on the left side I just now noticed that my left speaker is not working... not sure how long it's been like that. That makes me sad. :cry:

I guess I'm gonna have to disassemble my AAO again and see if I broke a wire or something. :sigh:

Jerm78, Feb 17, 2009
  3. 3pac

jugo boss

Re: No sound in left speaker or headphone

same thing here, i guess the chanel is broken.
    i suppose i could open up this thing and see if cables to the headphones jack are still intact.
    ...but then something else came into my mind. get a usb soundcard (stick). but unfortunately i cannot find
    a way to get it running on linpus.

any ideas?

thx in advance

j.

jugo boss, Feb 18, 2009
  4. 3pac

peladocononda

hello , you check the balance in the master volume window?

peladocononda, May 20, 2009
  5. 3pac

donnyUK

I've just bought a One and I have the same problem, only right sound output is working... Is there any fix for this or is it broken, straight out the box?!

Gotta say not going well with this, i had the issue of it switching off after 25-30 secs of being booted up which i sorted with a strange method I read online of holding the power button for 20 secs, plugging power in & then inserting the battery.

Other than these 2 big problems i'm still keeping positive because i like it, but with this sound output issue it looks like it's going back...?

donnyUK, Oct 21, 2009
  6. 3pac

carolin

I think you want to check the volume button in the window. That may put in mute. so you must be careful in doing that. I am also have the same problem like you. Now I am coming out of easily.

carolin, Nov 17, 2009
  7. 3pac

CZroe

I just realized that it wasn't just all the mono YouTube videos I've been watching causing the audio to come out of my right speaker exclusively... I have no left-channel audio at all! Any ideas before I take it apart? Mine has been running WinXP exclusively for a while so I checked all control panels and balance adjustments... that's not it.

CZroe, Feb 22, 2010
  8. 3pac

CZroe

No left-channel audio for me too, but I didn't post my problem in the modification forums. :lol:

CZroe, Feb 22, 2010
  9. 3pac

CZroe

Re: Woe is me

Same here.

CZroe, Feb 22, 2010
  10. 3pac

Swarvey Moderator

Re: Woe is me

Hmmm starting to see this bug posted more and more... and seems to always be the left side that's dead... any ideas anyone?

Swarvey, Feb 22, 2010
  11. 3pac

CZroe

Well, unlike 3pac, both channels work through the headphone port for me. I took everything apart and had a look at the speaker. Everything seemed fine. I extracted the pins from the connector and reversed the left & right channel then tested again. I got the left-channel audio from the right speaker and no right-channel audio. Because I was getting right-channel audio before the swap, this means that both channels on the wires are fine and I have localized the problem to the left speaker itself. As for 3pac, it may be something else and yet somehow related to the speaker failure. Perhaps whatever is killing the left speakers is killing headphones too? ;) There are other problems with the left speaker and I'd bet that they are all related.

CZroe, Feb 26, 2010
  12. 3pac

panban

While laptop speakers working like a charm both, when i attach my headphones (tried a lot of them) the one channel of the headphones is not working (muted).
    Reformatted, changed drivers, even opened the case and with the multimeter tried to catch a signal from the said channel in the jack.
    Also checked the 40 pin cable from the Foxconn M/B to the Hanstar M/b where sound output is.
    Any suggestions?
    I like seeing movies with headphones and until now i never used the audio jack since purchase.
    Warranty is over. Changed M/B once due to usual fan problem.
    tHANKS

panban, Apr 24, 2010
  13. 3pac

BelgianAlien

Re: Dead left-channel audio/speaker on AOA110 / ZG5 (Windows

Here's a new one... the RIGHT channel is busted on mine. Has been for a while. Both the right speaker and the right side headphone out are busted. I got a cheap USB stick sound card (SteelSeries) and that seems to work somewhat... after a 15 minute period of inactivity my computer seems to think it needs to revert back to the built-in sound card... ugh!

BelgianAlien, Aug 17, 2010
  14. 3pac

CZroe

Re: Dead left-channel audio/speaker on AOA110 / ZG5 (Windows

Mine was just the speaker. I bought a new bottom shell with two speakers and restored it. I now have both channels.

CZroe, Nov 12, 2010
Ask a Question