Decided on a One, but which OS?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andy100, Sep 23, 2008.

1. andy100

donec

I recommend getting either the versions but then changing to Onelinux (a special version of Ubuntu with an altered kernel to make it more compatible with the AA1) and if you get the 8G version just add a USB 2.5 inch external hard drive they are quite small work well. My power cable uses an "L" shaped connector.

donec, Sep 23, 2008
  2. andy100

xraycat

Besides a slow boot-up I don't feel like I am lacking anything performance-wise from my Vista One. The screen, keyboard and touchpad limit me more on what I can do with it rather than the internal hardware; I won't be running Photoshop or Premiere on it like i do with my desktop.

Obviously Linpus was a lot quicker but I doubt it was any more efficient (power-wise). The applications and OS itself are extremely basic so why wouldn't they operate quicker? If I wanted to I could slim down Vista and stop most of the background services I don't need but I don't need to; I'm enjoying using it as is. However, adding those similar services to Linpus is a lot more effort and not worth the time. I didn't have anything running on Linpus, mostly because it wasn't worth my time to figure out how to install all the applications I would want to have my normal computing experience. Acer didn't intend their Linpus distribution to contend with XP, it's meant to provide a basic user experience and that's it. Use Linux if you want but it's not better and it's not worse, its completely different.

xraycat, Sep 23, 2008
  3. andy100

kevin

Well, quite. That's exactly my point -- `basic' applications and a `basic' user environment are more suited to a modest piece of hardware than something fancy. Of course, if you want something fancy, and don't mind that it's slower to use, then who am I to argue? That's just a matter of personal preference, I think.

kevin, Sep 23, 2008
  4. andy100

...BeAkEr...

yeah i forgot to say if you get vista then 1.5gb of ram will be needed otherwise it may freeze up occasionally

...BeAkEr..., Sep 23, 2008
  5. andy100

keroro1979

Is it true that XP on the ssd, with 512mb ram, is unstable / very slow?

keroro1979, Sep 24, 2008
  6. andy100

kevin

There is a reason why Acer only sells Windows on the hard-disk models, I think, and it's not just because XP won't properly fit into 8Gb. It's unlikely that RAM is going to be the limitation but, since it's so cheap anyway, is it a big problem?

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  7. andy100

rebuilder

Well, first of all, as noted above, running XP on the SSD models, which is what you're getting if you buy a Linux One, is not ideal. So I'd take the idea of being able to switch to Windows later on if you want to with a grain of salt.

That said, personally I find the Linux desktop as I have it configured far superior to Windows. Emphasis on "As I have it configured", though - there are some really nice additions you can install to make working on the small screen of the AA1 easier, but some work is required. The biggest thing for me was installing Compiz-Fusion, which basically enables all kinds of desktop effects. I only use two - the Exposé-like function that lets you define a hotkey sequence or a screen area which activates a function that basically lays out all the windows you have open on all desktops on one screen, letting you easily switch between applications. And yes, multiple desktops is another huge plus on such a small screen. I have ctrl+alt+left or right arrow key set to switch desktop, so I can have many more windows open at one time with much less clutter. There are videos on Youtube about Compiz that will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

However, like I said, this is definitely not out-of-the-box functionality. Installing Compiz-Fusion itself was relatively simple, instructions can be found on these forums, but then I found that I needed to upgrade the video driver as well to get video to play well with the new setup... I'm used to the command line and the work required to set up and maintain a Linux desktop by now, but if you don't feel comfortable with the idea of spending a significant amount of time, especially at first, learning a new system, some trial-and-error experimenting and a high chance of having to reinstall the OS a couple of times after making a mistake or two, then the XP model may be more your thing. Of course, if you don't want any significant functionality outside what the default Acer install of Linpus provides, you may not need to fiddle around with it at all. In my opinion, though, you may as well be using XP in that case, assuming the performance is decent - the point of using Linux on the AA1, for me, is what it can do beyond the abilities of XP if you're willing to put some work into it.

rebuilder, Sep 24, 2008
  8. andy100

phil#23

hi all,

ok ill make it simple for all the confused undecided people. :?:

linux version
    excellent for basic apps

cons: no hd (guess you dont need it), need to learn a new os including tweaks and scripting (newbie like me xp lover)

These are not cons to several advanced users.
    This is a great choice for people who only need basic needs like email, word processing etc... And if you have time to learn to tweak the new acer os. This is without a biased opinon against linpus. ;) Said again great for people used to linux.

xp version
    excellent for more advanced or performance hungry apps

NOT ADVISABLE TO RUN XP ON THE FIRST MODEL OF AA1 (8GB CARD, 512MB RAM) CAUSE IT WILL SUCK IN PERFORMANCE :!:

PAY THE EXTRA BUCK FOR THE HD MODEL :mrgreen:

But if you are into the conventional use of the netbook similarily like a desktop or notebook choose the xp version. Or a person familiar with this os. atom 1.6, 1gb ram, 120gb hd. Great out of the box (using it right now), wireless seems to work fine (as some people are having problems with linux). Not that bad with the 1gb recommed to upgrade to 1.5gb. Great for itunes, limewire, youtube and other high memory intensive programs. :D

phil#23, Sep 24, 2008
  9. andy100

kevin

...or for people who would like to learn about Linux. And who don't mind jumping in at the deep end to do so :)

I suppose another reason for buying the Linux version is to get the reduced power consumption, reduced noise, and increased ruggedness of the SSD over the hard drive. Ruggedness is of some importance to me, as I throw my computer around when I'm travelling. For mostly desktop use I guess it doesn't make that must difference. I'm not sure how greater the power consumption difference is, because I don't know how big a proportion of the total power usage goes into storage. And with really big SDHC cards you probably don't get much in the way of power saving anyway.

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  10. andy100

bigrd

Hi folks just joined the forum.

Last Friday I went for the Linux (Linpus) version with 120Gb hard drive from PC World for £230. Didn't think that was a bad price for a high street retailer.

1st thing I did was replace Linpus with Ubuntu 8.04.1 along with the Net Book Remix using the USB Stick (isotostick) installation method. This is not difficult to do and people shouldn't be afraid of using the command line. If you do this soon after purchase there's nothing to lose and you can revert back to Linpus or XP.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

This little machine runs like a dream and not bloated with Win XP or Vista. I do use XP on other PC's but felt in this instance Linux is better suited and it runs very smoothly.

bigrd, Sep 24, 2008
  11. andy100

andy100

Just to update, I've taken the plunge and order an AA1 with 1Gb RAM, 120 Gb HDD and XP from Tesco Direct.

With standard next day delivery added and a discount voucher found online, it cost a total of £264...Bargain!!! :D

Just hope I like it! ;)

Andy

andy100, Sep 24, 2008
  12. andy100

donec

Rebuilder, I also configure my desktop for better use of the small screen. I don't use Compiz-Fusion as I find using the windows selector applet allows me to select any program I have running on any of my multiple desktops from a drop down menu. I select my multiple desktops with either ctrl+alt+(an arrow key right or left) or by selecting one of the boxes from my workspace switcher applet. I also have added extra panels that disappear until I place the cursor to bring them out. This allows very easy access to the programs I use often.

donec, Sep 24, 2008
  13. andy100

The7

Please tell us your findings after using it.

The7, Sep 24, 2008
  14. andy100

Motoko.A150L

For anyone else in quandry, here is the current pricing at Amazon UK...

### Blue Models
    £217.99 Linux 120Gb 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-4
    £219.99 Linux 8Gb SSD 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-3
    £249.99 Linux 120Gb 1Gb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-2

£262.98 XP 120Gb 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 55&sr=8-12

### White Models
    £217.99 Linux 8Gb SSD 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-5
    £229.99 Linux 120Gb 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-6
    £259.99 Linux 120Gb 1Gb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 355&sr=8-7

£268.99 XP 120Gb 512Mb RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One ... 55&sr=8-11

All with Free Super Saver Delivery or free Next Delivery if you have "Amazon Prime".

Motoko.A150L, Sep 25, 2008
  15. andy100

kevin

Interesting. They might be cheaper on the High Street. I bought my 8Gb blue unit from Currys for £199, and there's no postage.

Anyhow, given the relatively small difference in price across the model range, I suspect that price is not really going to be a major factor in which one to buy, unless you're really strapped for cash, or you're equipping a school or something.

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  16. andy100

Motoko.A150L

Ah yes, I had forgotten that PCWorld, Currys and Dixons (all DSG of course) have the 8Gb 512Mb models at the magic £199 :)

Motoko.A150L, Sep 25, 2008
  17. andy100

keroro1979

yup, thats where i got mine last week :) also, Teesco direct have them at that price

keroro1979, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question