Default KDE Packages

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Andysan, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Andysan

Andysan

Hi all,

I attempted to install Amarok last night, and Pirut downloaded a whole load of KDE packages using up quite a bit od disk space. Amarok is a waste of time IMHO because the extras pack isn't compatible with the version found in Pirut, and i want to try out the new Songbird release anyway.

Anyhow, i would like to remove the KDE bits - i assume it's safe to do so? I have the following installed:

arts-1.5.8-4.fc8
    im-chooser-0.5.3-1.fc8
    kdebase-3.5.8-5.fc8
    kpowersave-0.7.3-2.8lp
    xdg-user-dirs-0.9-1.fc8
    xdg-utils-1.0.2-2.fc8
    zenity-2.20.0-2.fc8

Pirut tells me that i have 5 of 80 optional packages installed - well i know that kpowersave was there before, so could somebody please tell me which are safe to remove without trashing everything?

If someone wouldn't mind loading Pirut up and telling me which packages they have installed so i know which to delete, i would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Andysan

Andysan, Sep 20, 2008
  2. Andysan

kevin

All of these except kdebase are on my system. I'm certain that im-chooser, kpowersave, and zenity are part of the stock system. I suspect the others, except kdebase, are too. That doesn't mean that they _can't_ be removed, but it does mean that you didn't necessarily install them yourself ;)

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
  3. Andysan

Andysan

Thanks Kevin,

I'll probably leave it at that then - menas I've lost 200mb somewhere lols!

Andysan, Sep 20, 2008
  4. Andysan

kevin

$ rpm -q -a --qf '%{NAME}\t%{SIZE}\n'

will give you a list of all installed packages and their sizes.

$ rpm -q -i package_name

will tell you (briefly) what a package does. Sometimes it's fairly obvious when something can safely be uninstalled. But if it's not obvious, and it's not very big, it's probably best to leave it (in my opinion).

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question