Deleted partition and how to recover Windows

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jrizal, Sep 22, 2011.

1. jrizal

jrizal

I have an AO722 but I was able to accidentally delete the hidden partitions though I have a made recovery disks. The recovery programs instruct me that I have to have an erased hard disk in order to reinstall it to factory default including the hidden partitions. However I cannot erase the disk. I have tried Darik and Kill Disk to no avail. Are there other ways to format the hard disk without removing. Meanwhile I have already restored my disk via DVD but I would like to have this feature again. TIA :)

jrizal, Sep 22, 2011
  2. jrizal

pcgeezer

You can use the Partition Wizard bootable image to wipe and format the hard drive outside of windows...

http://partitionwizard.com/download.html

Download and burn with "ImgBurn" to a bootable CD or make a bootable USB thumb drive and boot from it.

My understanding though, once the recovery partition is gone from your hard drive...it's gone forever. The recovery discs will only re-install the operating system and not the recovery partition. This is how I understand it.

pcgeezer, Sep 22, 2011
  3. jrizal

jrizal

The eRecovery disc from my Acer AO722 has the option to restore Windows 7 from factory default with or without user data intact and an option to reinstall also the files in the hidden partition. However the latter option requires that you have a blank/formatted hdd. I must admit though that the restore works fine and I am using my AO722 as I type this. I just want to experiment and have the built in restore function for whatever its worth. Also, I have the option to remove the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and format it then reinstall Windows to its "true" factory default. Let's just say I'm in the "toying" stage of this little baby as it is still new. But it is definitely replacing my full blown laptop. (Tablets won't cut it for me. I have an iPad which my young son uses but I like this baby more at half the price.) Nonetheless, I will try your recommended software to see if it works. If not, it's the "remove the hard disk" option for me. And thank you very much for your help. Hopefully, I'll get rid of the "itch" to toy around with this thing and actually use it for productive purposes. :D

jrizal, Sep 22, 2011
  4. jrizal

nibiru

I have the exact same issue, the recovery partition has... destroyed itself while I was trying to use it to reinstall windows to an SSD.

I actually:

1) put the SSD inside the AO722
    2) started it from its standard HD connected to a SATA external enclosure

..but the restore process is not supposed to start from anything different than C: (that is, the master on the internal SATA bus), so it completely wiped out itself :(

Needless to say,I had NOT created a set of restore disks yet... I can still reinstall windows (but this netbook goes 10 times faster with KUbuntu 12.04), and yep, for a "toying" purpose, I too would like to get the internal HD into its original state again!

Were you able to restore that d*mn partition? Could you upload the AO722 restore disks somewhere?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day.

nibiru, Sep 11, 2012
Ask a Question