Deleted Recovery Partition for XP, need help

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Gom33, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Gom33

Gom33

Hey guys,

I just got my acer one a few days ago, and knowing me, I already tried fooling with it and tried to install windows 7. Windows 7 worked fine but opted to uninstall it. After uninstalling Windows 7 I still had two options in the bootup screen, either Windows 7 or Windows XP home. After reading around on fixing it, I went ahead and edited the boot.ini file. After all was done and restarted the pc, it gave me an error of could not start windows, missing hal.dll file.
    After reading around SOME MORE, lol, I found the recovery disk that was uploaded on here. The thing is I deleted all partitions and even the recovery partition. How can I get this back? Since I don't have an external DVD drive I made a bootable USB device and worked perfectly, I am actually on the 1 right now with XP and all drivers installed. The thing is, I want it back to how I got it from factory. I am missing all the trial softwares and such. How do I get those back? Do I need this recovery partition for XP? and if anyone has it can you please help me out?

Any help is GREATLY aprreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Raphael

Forgot to add I have the 160 GB version with xp home edition

Gom33, Jan 30, 2009
  2. Gom33

yachtpro

Continue to search these forums for help, but as far as I know, once the eRecovery hidden partition is gone, it's GONE! You can order recovery discs from Acer (1 system disc & 1 drivers disc) for $20 + $10 shipping. These will restore your machine to original factory condition but WILL NOT restore the hidden partition that originally came on your machine. You will have the new recovery discs, anyway, so you don't really need the eRecovery any longer. All the trialware and extras that might have come bundled when new are also gone forever. Look around, there are lots of free programs that are as good or better than what Microsoft offers. Google Open Office or go to openoffice.org and download their freeware suite. It is everything that Microsoft has and will import/export/work seamlessly with any Microsoft .doc, any excell document, etc.

yachtpro, Feb 3, 2009
  3. Gom33

jeremysdad

Actually, all the bloatware IS included on the recovery discs. This is a fact, verified by me when I used them to recover this past Saturday. They do work awesomely, and it's NBD to delete all that crap again...

jeremysdad, Feb 3, 2009
  4. Gom33

LAZ

Before buying the recovery disks, if your machine is new, try asking for them at Acer support. People have had varying success, but I just did it through the U.S. website. Haven't got them yet, but they gave me an order number.

LAZ, Feb 5, 2009
  5. Gom33

yachtpro

What is the phone number for the US website? I tried three different techs at three different times, and they wouldn't budge from selling me the discs rather than sending them out gratis. Thanks.

yachtpro, Feb 6, 2009
  6. Gom33

jeremysdad

Have heard reports that sometimes you have to ask for supervisors to get results in this matter.

jeremysdad, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question