Dell Inspiron 15 3511 vs HP Pavilion 15 i5-1135G7?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by davespil, Apr 8, 2023.

1. davespil

davespil

I want to use it for travel and gaming, strategy games like Civ V and Rimworld. Maybe a modded Skyrim. My budget is $800. Which do you think is better?

Dell Inspiron 3000 Series 3511 Laptop, 15.6" FHD Touchscreen, Intel Core i5-1035G1, 32GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD

-or-

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop, 15.6" HD Touchscreen, Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor, 64GB Memory, 2TB SSD

davespil, Apr 8, 2023
    MrDale93 likes this.
  2. davespil

MrDale93

Both of these would be a good choice, neither should struggle to play these games.
    The HP would perform better for gaming, as the CPU is more powerful and that 64gb of memory would offer a higher ceiling than 32gb could do. A PCIe SSD(Id imagine in a laptop you mean a NVME - a small little card that slots in to the board like RAM does) will offer faster storage than a Sata SSD(a 2.5" plug in one, usually slides into place like a hard drive or like a memory card for a PlayStation 2).

Although either would work well enough for the games you want and there shouldn't be a problem with one or the other, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the most powerful & feature rich option in your budget.
    A dedicated gaming laptop would come with a graphics card built in which would give you an even higher level of performance over integrated graphics, they usually have a ton of RGB on them if you're into that sort of thing and they tend to have better cooling too, to keep the heat down which intensive gaming can lead to.

Ive no idea where you are, but its not uncommon here in the UK to see some gaming laptops going for a fairly more reasonable price second hand in pawn shops and whatnot. As an example my local pawn shop recently had an Acer Nitro 5 for sale at £400 - a friend bought it. That came with an intel i5 not sure on the model 4gb of ram but its expandable up to 16gb which is plenty for the games you mentioned, NVMe 500gb SSD with an expansion slot for a 2.5"HDD/SSD and if I remember rightly its running a Nvidia 1650 GPU which has its own 4gb Vram on board.

Im not trying to sway you away from one of the models you asked about, just though that such a good deal could work in your favour if you could find something cheap enough.

MrDale93, Apr 9, 2023
    davespil likes this.
  3. davespil

davespil

Thank you. I also looked at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5FJBHK...are-us-1289917562669368600-20&geniuslink=true

I heard that this is highly recommended.

davespil, Apr 10, 2023
    MrDale93 likes this.
  4. davespil

MrDale93

Hi,
    Yeah that looks fine for what you're after, and of course it has the added benefit of a graphics card built in. It actually looks like the exact model I mentioned that my friend bought, and that plays slightly more demanding games without issue so I can't imagine you'd have a problem there.
    Let me know what you end up getting anyway, I'd be curious to find out

MrDale93, Apr 10, 2023
Ask a Question