Dell restore cd on aspire one?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by zonky1994, Dec 12, 2008.

1. zonky1994

zonky1994

I have just recently bought a aspire one and put lepoard on it, took it off ,and want to put xp back on it. I have a dell with xp pro restore cd/dvd will it work?

zonky1994, Dec 12, 2008
  2. zonky1994

melhiore

NO as hardware is different and restore CD/DVD contains drivers for particular hardware...

melhiore, Dec 12, 2008
  3. zonky1994

maltloaf

i used a dell vista install dvd on my aao (it has a dell logo in the control panel) and also a dell xp install cd on my old asus eeepc, both work perfectly.

It depends if they are os install discs or restore discs to return a dell machine to how it left the factory

maltloaf, Dec 12, 2008
  4. zonky1994

melhiore

Exactly - install disc will work. Restore CD will install drivers for non existing hardware and do lot of mess in installation...

melhiore, Dec 12, 2008
  5. zonky1994

Sniper257

Well really, installing drivers is no big deal. Windows has quite a lot of drivers "installed" but it never causes problems. The big question is will it work? I don't know about windows machines but mac install discs come with software that detects if its the right model, and if it isn't, rejects the install. If this happens, then do something else, if it doesn't, enjoy XP!

Sniper257, Dec 13, 2008
  6. zonky1994

hmmwv

The real problem is that the AAO comes with XP Home license, so unless you have a spare Pro license, you can't install using Dell's XP Pro disc.

hmmwv, Dec 14, 2008
  7. zonky1994

gluefish

When I bought my AAO / 160gb HDD, it had XP Home on it.
    I clobbered that and the restore partition by putting Ubuntu on it.
    After fighting for 2 weeks trying to get Intrepid working with drivers for the sound, camera and wifi, I decided to go back to the original XP configuration.
    I called up Acer and they sent me a couple of CD's: A System CD and a Restore CD.
    Well, the Restore CD wasn't recognized.
    I gave up after fighting with Acer about it and found another CD of XP Pro SP1 lying around the house. Probably installed on a by now long dead computer.
    I went up to the Acer site and copied down all the XP drivers for the AAO to a USB key.
    Then I installed XP, the drivers, and went through the upgrade to SP3 process, and am now very happy with my AAO.
    ALL THE DRIVERS I DOWNLOADED FROM ACER worked perfectly.

I dunno, I might wait 6 months or a year to try UBUNTU again, by that time they might have the drivers for AAO figured out.

gluefish, Dec 16, 2008
Ask a Question