desktop computer question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jermzkill, Oct 31, 2008.

1. jermzkill

jermzkill

I made a new desktop computer a couple months ago. Everything is great, but the fans are pretty loud. Is there any way I can control this without removing the fans?

jermzkill, Oct 31, 2008
  2. jermzkill

rory

get better fans
    or depending on the Os you can get fan control sofware
    but better ans is the easiest option
    i thought i would have loud fans in ym dell but theyre silent, quieter than my aao, which i think is silent, i dont have the whine...
    and my dell has c2q
    lucky for me

rory, Oct 31, 2008
  3. jermzkill

JimmiG

If you build it yourself, always look at the decibel rating of the fans when you order. Even very quiet fans move enough air unless you're planning on overclocking your system heavily.

The CPU fan speed can usually be temperature-controlled. Make sure the setting is enabled in BIOS setup. You might also have to enter a target temperature or similar. Generally the CPU should be kept below 55-60C at full load - the lower the temp, the longer the life span of the CPU. Some motherboard case fan headers also provide automatic fan speed control based on system temp. Refer to your motherboard manual and the BIOS setup.

Determine which fans are the loudest - it could be the CPU fan or case fan, but it could also be the power supply fan or videocard fan which are harder to do something about.

The Fanmate2 (http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Produ ... sp?idx=206) is a cheap and easy way to manually lower the noise of loud fans. Adjust the fan speed until you can't hear the fan, then turn it up slightly so the fan is barely audible. Run a temperature monitoring program to make sure your temperatures are still good.

JimmiG, Nov 13, 2008
  4. jermzkill

jamesb72

I always swap the pins on fan cables, so they run on 7v not 12v, you get about 75% of the airflow at about 1/3 noise. I generally have a side fan as well as rear for extra cooling also, as fans are so cheap.

Just swap black and yellow pins on the power block to fans - make sure you don't then daisy chain any non-fan devices on this power span.

jamesb72, Nov 13, 2008
  5. jermzkill

nikki6ixx

You might have some luck if you use the program '"Speedfan" if you don't already. Depending upon your motherboard, etc., you can control your fans. It may look like a simple program, but it's got a lot of features, so make sure you know what you're doing. I run it on my desktop, and it's great!

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

nikki6ixx, Jan 2, 2009
  6. jermzkill

scottw22

I had a crazy roommate in college who ordered the soundproof padding that hotels put between the walls and lined the inside of his case with that.

scottw22, Jan 5, 2009
  7. jermzkill

blake101

In the bios of your computer there is an option on fan speed. By default mine were set to max so I changed it to auto and the entire system quieted down by more than half. I have a p5k3 asus motherboard by the way.

blake101, Mar 5, 2009
Ask a Question