Desktop help

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Poon_Tang, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Poon_Tang

Poon_Tang

After trolling through pages and pages of threads I cant see any easy "how to" make the four sections on the desktop transparent. Can you help, I want to be able to set a wallpaper underneith and see through as I want to keep my orginal section boxes.

Poon_Tang, Sep 2, 2008
  2. Poon_Tang

Kupo

They are fake transparencies. Each of the sections (Fun, Work, etc) are actually broken up into individual images. On the default desktop, each section has two images, the title bar, and then the base. You have to edit those images your self and make them APPEAR transparent, by manually showing the background image. There's also a set of images for when you click on a section.

You can find what images to edit in /usr/share/backgrounds/images

Remember you need to use sudo thunar in the terminal to be able to copy, as well as paste new images in that folder.

[​IMG]

Kupo, Sep 2, 2008
  3. Poon_Tang

Poon_Tang

How do you do this part?

Poon_Tang, Sep 2, 2008
  4. Poon_Tang

Kupo

Use sudo thunar in terminal and go to the directory /usr/share/backgrounds/images. Grab the images you want from there and open them in an image editing program. What I did was actually load them onto a jump drive and went on my PC and used Adobe photoshop.

If you're using photoshop: To make the image "appear" transparent, you need two layers. The layers tab is default at the bottom right of the screen. The bottom layer should be the section of the background image you are using. The top layer will be the coloured block thing used to organize your icons. Lower the opacity of the top layer to any desired amount, which will allow the bottom layer to appear through.

It would be a lot easier to show you, unfortunately I can't and I'm far too lazy to look into video capturing software just to make a video for this. If you know anyone that's proficient in photoshop, you could get them to do it for you.

Kupo, Sep 2, 2008
  5. Poon_Tang

Spyder

This seems like an extreme PITA just to set a background. Couldn't Acer make things easy on us for once?

Spyder, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question