Desktop Switching Guide for Beginers

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by sean-michael, Jan 11, 2009.

1. sean-michael

sean-michael

Pllease note this is a modification to the Acer Aspire One Notebook only if modifcations tryed on other operating sysytems are y down to your decision

What the guide includes, : simple desktop switcher how you input onto your taskbar as a quick switcher between acers and xfce's desktop with a single file download, changing the wallpaper and other settings./b]

1. first we created a file called desktop switcher you need to download this ! but before you do this you need to create a folder in your my disk area do this by accessing documents and at the left hand side top you will se my disk double click this. now your in your disk now you need to create a file called bin no over names just bin done !

2. now you need to download the file calleed desktop switcher.sh at this download URL http://www.ad-comp.be/data/files/src/changedesktop.sh , OK now you have downloaded this make sure you have doubled clicked the download and opened it it should open in a file archive were yyou unzip files.

3. at the top of the archive you will see extract file select this ok, now you will see a box open saying were to extract to file to select the search file button and this should come up with a window with a list of files and locations such as documents and picture ect... ok, select the my disk in there you will see a file you made earlier called bin open this file and then save switchdesktop.sh here.

4. ok you are just there all you have to do to check this file works is go to my disk and open file bin and open desktopswitcher.sh ok, now your desktop will change to the xfce desktop this is the manual way of changing the desktop.

5. now if you want a easy desktop switcher reload button on your task bar then here are the instructrions, open your terminal by pressing ALT & F2 now when you get to the terminal you need to put this comand in directly xfce4-panel -a ok, now this will open add icons to task bar.

6. When in the taskber it gives you a list on what is there to add the first top option says addnew launcher select this when a new window opens it says what name your launcher should be Example DESKTOP SWITCHER, now you need an icon for the launcher you need to go into /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/ open there are a range a list of icons to choose from.

7. after selecting your choice of icon you need to select your target easy all you have to do is find the file by selecting find file my disk bin and the desktopchanger.sh

6. now your all set up and done.

please note by changing deskyop background and themes your need to activate right click do this bt open terminal again ALT & F2 then input comand xfce-setting-show then it will come up with settings box select display first button on setting then in display you will see a tab called behavour select this and then select both boxes :)

all done enjoy yourselfs.

sean-michael, Jan 11, 2009
  2. sean-michael

GvidoR

The instructions on getting the icon for switching the desktop are pretty easy in the stickied thread.
    There are even screen shots so that makes it even easier. I've done it myself!...

GvidoR, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question