developing software like dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Linux' started by neomaximus2k, Oct 7, 2008.

1. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

Now i know a simlar question has been answered elsewhere however i'm looking for something very similar to dreamweaver, as in how it operates and support for the template files.

My little AAO is already setup with LAMP but just need to find a decent development software very much like dreamweaver to allow me to edit on the go (spend 2 hours travelling by train each day)

neomaximus2k, Oct 7, 2008
  2. neomaximus2k

westonpf

Kompozer is WYSIWYG web page creator for Linux, based on NVU.

It's not as polished as Dreamweaver but it does the job.

westonpf, Oct 7, 2008
  3. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

will it support the template system dreamweaver has?

I doubt i will find one that does but i beleive there is a way of getting dreamweaver working on the linpus but i bet it uses up so many resources there isn't much point :(

4. neomaximus2k

daldred

Quanta Plus is another Linux-based development package which supports templates; whether they are the same as Dreamweaver templates I don't know.

daldred, Oct 7, 2008
  5. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

I was using quanta plus but it creates loads of temporary files for some reason with a ~ on the end and half of the time the updated files where the ~ ones meaning that when they where ftpd they didnt work

6. neomaximus2k

westonpf

You could always try installing Dreamweaver under WINE or try Crossover if you don't want to mess directly with WINE.

Kompozer has a template function but they are not Dreamwever templates, I think they are standard HTML with XML. I'm Quanta+ is the same.

westonpf, Oct 7, 2008
  7. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

Well I decided to write a tutorial on how to get dreamweaver working on the linpus, I know the steps needed but sadly i'm not at home so i cant do most of them lol

I'll be using WINE as I believe this will be the more optimal solution lets hope it works!

8. neomaximus2k

donec

Those are backup files so so in case you loose power or something you don't loose anything.

donec, Oct 7, 2008
  9. neomaximus2k

cpchan

Very true. This is not limited to Quanta+. The "~" is a Unix convention.

cpchan, Oct 7, 2008
  10. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

the problem i was having was i would make the changes to the file, save the file, close the file but the changes never saved and would be in the backup file instead so i abandoned the software, was causing more trouble than i needed as was in hospital at the time

neomaximus2k, Oct 8, 2008
  11. neomaximus2k

cpchan

Never seen that happening. Are you sure you did not open the backup file by mistake?

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  12. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

yep 100% sure, either way its given me time to write up a tutorial on how to install dreamweaver onto the AAO, sadly the file transfers take a while but by tonight I should have the tutorial completed, posted and done!

neomaximus2k, Oct 8, 2008
  13. neomaximus2k

cpchan

Strange, I just tested it out and I can't reproduce your problem (I don't use Quanta+- I use Emacs). Also, you are the first person that I have heard this from. Usually all I hear are praises for Quanta+ and I am on a lot of Linux mailing lists.

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  14. neomaximus2k

donec

I also have never heard of this problem and I use Quanta+ on many different distros.

donec, Oct 8, 2008
  15. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

It could have just been me, i was in hospital with meningitis at the time so wasn't exactly all there

Well sadly the dreamweaver idea has had to been abandoned, not only did it leave very little space but the clibraries generated page fault errors due to the screen being too small lol.

In bluefish i found a way of disabbling the ~ files, tried it again on the train and it did exactly the same, the backup files ended up being the most recent copy and the php file never updated.

Just installing quanta again but cant find kimpoze in the rpm

neomaximus2k, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question