Did I miss Grub2 in dual boot?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by morningching, Jul 2, 2010.

1. morningching

morningching

I am using dual boot in my acer aspire netbook. Ubuntu 10.04 and Lubuntu 10.04. Ubuntu installed first and I installed grub2 bootloader. Next Lubuntu is installed. I didn't install grub2 loader during Lubuntu installation. I used grub2 bootloader from Ubuntu.Both work. But I did software update in Lubuntu, there was new kernel 2.6.32.23 installed(2.6.32.21 is default kernel). I did sudo update-grub2 while running Lubuntu. Kernel update is not shown, it shows the old one. Was there any wrong step in installation the second OS (Lubuntu)
    Thanks in advance.

morningching, Jul 2, 2010
  2. morningching

Ibidem

Try booting Ubuntu and sudo update-grub2 there. If you didn't install grub2 to MBR in Lubuntu, updating grub2 there is completely irrelevant, since you're dealing with a completely different install and grub2 reads the configuration file from Ubuntu.
    This is assuming you don't have /boot on a separate partition, shared by both.

Ibidem, Jul 3, 2010
  3. morningching

morningching

I boot up Ubuntu 10.04 where I installed Grub2. I did sudo update-grub2. When I reboot, the Lubuntu (2nd OS in my dual boot) kernel shows the old one (2.6.32-21) in spite of updated to (2.6.32-23).

morningching, Jul 3, 2010
  4. morningching

Ibidem

Ibidem, Jul 9, 2010
Ask a Question