Difference of Intel with AMD

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Corzhens, May 17, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

What is the difference of Intel processor with AMD cpu? We are to buy a computer and the price quotation sent to us is this:
    1. Intel - 28k
    2. AMD - 20k

The amounts are in pesos. Just to show the big difference in the pricing. And I am wondering now what complications are there if I would buy the cheaper AMD? All I know with computers are Intel cpu.

Corzhens, May 17, 2016
  2. Corzhens

sharatharadhya

It depends on your Workload and Usage. If your work requires Multiple Threads and cores like rendering, encoding, and Video Processing I would recommend getting the AMD as it will perform better and you save money on the Graphics Card. But if your Workload requires a fewer number of cores and is a very long process, I would go for an Intel. Intel CPU's are far more power efficient and have lower heat output. They are great if you don't want to spend too much on cooling the Cpu and the room. But if you buy Intel though you will have to spend an extra bit of money on the Graphics Card. It is completely your Choice. Good Luck.

sharatharadhya, May 18, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Vash

Different CPUs have different actual performance when they are clocked at the same operating frequency. At this moment, most Intel chips are probably higher performers than AMD chips at the same GHZ. But AMD chip is cheaper, better bang for the buck. Intel is also produce less heat in general due to slightly more power efficient, which makes them better choice for a laptop.

If money is the #1 issue for you, then getting an AMD based laptop is a good idea.
    If performance is more important to you, then get an Intel based laptop.

You can't go wrong with either. The real world performance difference is minimal for a laptop. Although the benchmarks might show more detailed differences, you won't feel much.

Vash, May 19, 2016
  4. Corzhens

acerme2

Most gaming shops and internet shops in our area uses AMD instead of Intel. AMD processors/motherboards are much cheaper than Intel's and some ITs would say, they are better suited for gaming. I've tried an AMD desktop once, but it wasn't exactly a great experience and I got the impression that AMD cpus aren't for the long haul. It could be isolated though, as my IT friend vouches for it and he is a real gamer.

acerme2, Sep 15, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

I use to think that AMD is not as good as Intel. That was before I used a laptop with AMD. It lasted me for many years. So basically, AMD can do the job as well as Intel. Just save some money and get the AMD.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 15, 2016
  6. Corzhens

SirJoe

I think it really comes down to the CPU itself, both Intel and AMD produce very good processes and some dodgy ones as well. Intel in general can handle higher working temperatures then AMD but you get more for your buck with AMD.

SirJoe, Sep 15, 2016
  7. Corzhens

AntonioCalcano

Intel and AMD in general are different in the way that Intel is more recognized, has more renown than AMD and hence the higher price it has, is more popular, and more expensive too, it has better support and it lasts longer than AMD. I know it sounds biased but that's the truth.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  8. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

I agree that Intel has a bigger name in the market. However, I am not so sure that Intel chips last longer than AMD chips. I have used both. My Intel chip lasted for years. So did my AMD chip. I don't really see any difference between the two brands in that way. Perhaps you have a link to an actual study showing the difference @AntonioCalcano ?

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 24, 2016
Ask a Question