Different SSDs ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bEtrayEr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bEtrayEr

CZroe

Intel P-230 SSD here, AKA SSDPAMM0008G1 originally included with the 8GB Linux ZG5/AOA 110 Aspire one. This is slower than the Samsung P-SSD 1800. Windows XP stalls with nearly any drive access unless you install FlashPoint (caches in RAM).

I finally got fed-up with it and threw in a 20GB Hitachi HDD for $12. I hope it can stand up to my motorcycle tank bag's powerful magnets. If so, I may move up to a larger capacity drive with more cache memory.

I still get better speeds out of my 16GB class 6 SDHC cards. :roll:

It's not a "myth" except that they aren't "drivers" per-se. Filesystem "drivers" were written with HDDs in mind, thus, they expect cache memory to operate properly. The built-in SSD has none, thus, even the smallest writes will stall Windows. FlashFire is an SSD-optimized filesystem "driver" that caches writes in system memory, thus providing a very large cache that can let the SSD "catch up" while Windows continues working normally as if the write was complete, though it is dangerous should the system lose power or shut down befor ethe contents can be written. The version of Linux bundled with the system was optimized for SSD and SD card access, so it isn't as much of an issue. XP is not.

CZroe, Mar 19, 2010
  2. bEtrayEr

CZroe

Anandtech opened up a Kingston 30GB SSDnow V series drive and it's clearly small enough to mod into an original AOA110 ZG5.

[​IMG]

Just add SATA+Power. It's $85 on newegg after rebate.

Intel makes a 1.8" 80GB X-18 that should work just as well with minial modification (same as for a 1.8" HDD + eSATA, then add power), but no TRIM support. It has been $150 on newegg but it jumped back up to $190.

CZroe, Mar 20, 2010
  3. bEtrayEr

A110

I have the ZG5 Acer Aspire One Netbook with 8GB SDD

Unfortunately the SDD has died. I want to take this opportunity to upgrade. I've taken it apart to me the SDD looks nothing like a HDD. Can it be replaced by a proper hard drive or has it just got to be a bigger SDD for an upgrade? What ones are compatible which are available now? Thanks.

A110, Jun 19, 2011
  4. bEtrayEr

atarione

if u have the 8GB SSD model the it uses a ZIF interface for the HD I replaced the 8GB ssd from mine with a Super talent model that is a drop in replacement

http://www.google.com/search?q=supertal ... 24&bih=532

atarione, Jun 29, 2011
Ask a Question