Different SSDs ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bEtrayEr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bEtrayEr

nunomeneses

Hello,

Here from Portugal and i bought this unit white 8Gb Linux version 512mb ram from Mediamarkt store with

P-SSD1800
    2200mAh battery made by sanyo that are the battery's of my other laptops and still working almost 100% in over 5 years of hard working ;)

nunomeneses, Aug 17, 2008
  2. bEtrayEr

Fra_AspireOne

Fra_AspireOne, Aug 18, 2008
  3. bEtrayEr

sk3rmo

Manila, Philippines

intel ssd (and i thought it was already fast :shock: )
    and crappy battery

..but inside a beautiful white shell :D

sk3rmo, Aug 19, 2008
  4. bEtrayEr

rjm

The Samsung SSD appears to be an OEM-only or custom part. No mention of it on the Samsung website, even a Google search turns up nothing.

The ATTO benchmark (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=303&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20#p2557) gives ~12MB/s read and ~38MB read.

The Intel SSD SSDPAMM0008G1 at least is a known factor: claimed 10MB/s write, 38Mb/s read.

http://www.aceraspireone.it/benchmark-d ... -intel-8gb

benchmarks above are 9MB/s and 30MB/s, pretty much on par with the Intel spec, and pretty comparable to the Samsung drive. So unless the access time is way different there should not be any great difference between the two, but both should be significantly worse in writing than, e.g., the main SLC flash memory in the EEE PCs, though even here the read speeds are very comparable.

So I'm a little puzzled as to what all the fuss was about...

rjm, Aug 19, 2008
  5. bEtrayEr

Guest Guest

I was a bit shocked that a computer released ~8 - 10 years after the release of windows XP would struggle to handle it. To be honest, if it's the SSD itself that is the problem and not a driver, I'm even more shocked that acer would bother to include it in a modern day laptop. The only conclusion i can draw is that they felt the clunky interface of linpus would mean that users weren't aware of the poor SSD performance. Sure linux isn't as heavy on the SSD writes as XP is, but I was noticing little pauses while using linpus that I simply attributed to the fact that it was linux (not a seasoned user).

Guest, Aug 20, 2008
  6. bEtrayEr

bravekn1ght

Manila, Philippines

My office bought 4 aspires in the past two weeks and I was able to test the two models of SSDs myself. 2 of the 4 aspires where using the Intel SSD and the other 2 was using the Samsung SSD. Installing XP on the Intel SSD (SSDPAM0008G1EA) results in an extremely slow performance whereas in the Samsung SSD (P-SSD 1800), XP was amazingly fast. In my desperation to solve the slow performance on the other two aspires (on Intel SSD), I re-installed XP but using the FAT filesystem instead of NTFS. And just like a miracle, performance improved and now works as fast as the XP installation on the Samsung SSD. After installation, I stumbled the aspireoneuser.com website and read about the issue which explains the performance difference.

Maybe someone on the forum can confirm this procedure so we can solve the problem regarding the slow aspires. :D

bravekn1ght, Aug 21, 2008
  7. bEtrayEr

rebuilder

EDIT: Nevermind the folllowing, that is not data from the samsung SSD. I realized I had bonnie++ run it's tests in my home dir, which probably means the operations were performed on my transcend expansion SD card. I'll run again and return with the proper results.

Someone asked for bonnie++ results from samsung SSD on linpus, here are mine, with 3G data since I have 1.5 gig memory:

Version 1.03 ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
    Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
    localhost 3G 6576 56 6712 2 3231 2 6705 59 21441 7 1752 8
    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
    files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
    16 2510 99 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ 3198 98 +++++ +++ 9847 99

It seems my results are actually a lot slower than the intel SSD tested.

rebuilder, Aug 22, 2008
  8. bEtrayEr

poneis

Brazil, samsung ssd and 2400mah baterry :p

but i got constant lagging in winxp when it reads from the ssd. But not slow at all

poneis, Aug 23, 2008
  9. bEtrayEr

taxus

Well, I got the Intel SSD, even though I bought it at the same place as Marcus2004, who has the Samsung SSD. "lshal" shows:

scsi.model = 'SSDPAMM0008G1'

Damn.

taxus, Aug 24, 2008
  10. bEtrayEr

nigelwill

Got mine from PC World (via delivery as out of stock in local stores). It's Linux, so just ran lshal and it say scsi.model = 'SSDPAMM0008G1', so I presume that is the slower Intel model?

nigelwill, Aug 28, 2008
  11. bEtrayEr

pharoah

yes that is the slower intel ssd.i got unlucky as well thats the one i have.

pharoah, Aug 28, 2008
  12. bEtrayEr

dreniac

2400mah :)
    SSDPAMM0008G1EA :|
    Blue :mrgreen:
    290Euro incl PP :cool:

OK slow SSD, but to be honest I didn't noticed any performance problems. Quake3 for instances loads faster and runs better than on my Ubuntu Laptop.
    But then again its got that crappy ATI x200m GPU, the Intel performs allot better 2D and 3D!

I am happy I got the "big" battery at least.

BTW no fan problems, that thingy hardly makes any noise, even on full load you need to be in a quiet room to hear it.

dreniac, Aug 29, 2008
  13. bEtrayEr

andif62

Where did you get it?

andif62, Aug 29, 2008
  14. bEtrayEr

marudai

Just got mine in white from NewEgg because they were the first ones to recognize the price drop.
    It's still an Intel drive with the 2200mah battery.

At least somebody's being consistent! Too bad they're being consistent with the wrong one!

marudai, Aug 30, 2008
  15. bEtrayEr

dreniac

passiontec.de via guenstiger.de
    It appears to be sold out (the blue one) and has the current "standard" price of 299.
    There are others on guenstiger.de who sell it under 290 now, although they don't have free shipping.

BTW with "big" battery I did not meant the 6 cell, but 2400 instead of the 2200mAh 3cell.

dreniac, Sep 1, 2008
  16. bEtrayEr

cedher

Sweden (Dustin home), 6th aug
    Blue
    P-SSD1800 (Samsung)
    2400 battery

cedher, Sep 3, 2008
  17. bEtrayEr

kag

Bought last week from compu2000.com in Canada:
    White (Linux / 512MB)
    P-SSD1800
    2200mAh battery

kag, Sep 3, 2008
  18. bEtrayEr

wuziq

so, i'm guessing no one yet knows how to ensure that you are buying an AA1 with the samsung ssd. is this correct? if so.. what can be done to maximize your chances of getting the samsung ssd?

also.. if you DO end up getting one with the intel ssd, is it possible to replace it with a faster ssd? i believe someone asked this near the beginning of this thread, but i didn't see an answer to it.

this whole slow SSD thing is the main reason i haven't bought an AA1 yet. i would get the 1566 from newegg, but from reading this thread it seems that newegg stocks AA1s with the intel ssd. aaaand it's sold out now anyway. :roll:

edit: has anyone bought from buydig.com / beachcamera.com? what are some other reputable online retailers that carry AA1s?

wuziq, Sep 5, 2008
  19. bEtrayEr

eleme

Picked up mine in Bangkok on 02 Sept. 2008.
    Blue 512MB/Linux (the shop carried several models in both white and blue)
    Samsung SSD (P-SSD1800)
    2400mAh 3-cell battery
    9900 Baht (around $285 USD)

eleme, Sep 6, 2008
  20. bEtrayEr

pdox

Malaysia - Blue, SSD1800, 2200mah batt. Seems like even the batteries are different, some are 2400 some are 2200. Now I know why my batt lasts only like 2:15 to 2:30 (with bluetooth dongle) instead of the 2.:30 to 3:00+ hours some have reported. But I sure am glad I got the faster SSD, no wonder i could install xp and have it work well so far! :D

pdox, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question