Different SSDs ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bEtrayEr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bEtrayEr

Yosser_UK

Very expensive though I would have thought.

Yosser_UK, Sep 30, 2008
  2. bEtrayEr

onlineaddy

onlineaddy, Oct 3, 2008
  3. bEtrayEr

onlineaddy

Please post if anyone finds out who makes the 16GB SSD in the new AA1 models. Thanks.

onlineaddy, Oct 3, 2008
  4. bEtrayEr

Daijoubu

Daijoubu, Oct 3, 2008
  5. bEtrayEr

onlineaddy

Re: I want one of these (was) Re: Different SSDs ?

I thought we were talking about replacing the SSD in the A110. :?:
    But, you are quite right: the larger, SATA-based SSD can be used to replace the HDD in the A150 models.

onlineaddy, Oct 3, 2008
  6. bEtrayEr

jonljacobi

My SSD is the Intel Z-P230 PATA Solid State Drive. I'm actually talking to Intel, several SSD vendors, as well as Microsoft about this issue. The Aspire One is not the first PC on which this has occurred. I actually had a problem with OCZ-branded Samsung SSDs when I was putting together PC World's Dream PC earlier this year. Updating drivers cured the problem.

At that point, it was explained to me as a timing issue. Apparently the SSD returns a bit of info (sorry I can't be more specific, I can't remember) faster than the driver get's around to looking for it, then said driver waits around till it finally times out. That's a very crude explanation, but it does seem to make sense.

On another note, within XP Home SP3, I installed the latest Intel 82801 one drivers. I then tried driver update and was given a choice of three. I switched to one called ID2 and performance seemed to jump drastically. I now consider this thing fast. I've only been using it 15 minutes with that little change, so I'll get back on this. Anyone else tried this?

JLJ

jonljacobi, Oct 8, 2008
  7. bEtrayEr

seco1976

Can you give me some more detail about this. Sounds great.
    where did you get the intel 82801 drivers from (link please)

you install 82801 drivers then update them ? how ? what is this ID2 ?

thanks.

seco1976, Oct 10, 2008
  8. bEtrayEr

sjc

I bought a model 1698 in black on Saturday in Toronto, Canada.
    The 16G SSD shows as SATA_P-SSD1800
    I have 1G of RAM and a 5200mAh battery

The 1698 sells for CAN$409 (+tax)

sjc, Oct 13, 2008
  9. bEtrayEr

ronime

AOA-110-Aw
    Pearl White
    2200mAH
    SSDPAMM00081G

From Tesco Direct (UK) on 01 Nov 2008

Windows XP Home SP3
    FAT32

[​IMG]

ronime, Nov 3, 2008
  10. bEtrayEr

jonljacobi

It's been stonewall city with just about every vendor. SuperTalent sent me a 32GB SSD which the Aspire One wouldn't even recognize. Supposedly there will be a new product that will work. Toshiba has been jerking me around about regular 1.8-inch hard drives but I'm waiting to hear from new message from Samsung and Intel that might prove fruitful. I dremelled space for the SSD from Super Talent never thinking it would not be recognized by the BIOS. So much for drop-in replacements.

I'll be back as soon as I have good news.

jonljacobi, Nov 7, 2008
  11. bEtrayEr

torpor

Well I easily installed the new Toshiba 32-gig SSD replacement in mine - no drilling or mucking about requiring, just pop out the old and put in the new .. performance isn't that much better than the old 8gig SSD, however .. but it is good at least to have more space for stuff .. ;)

torpor, Nov 10, 2008
  12. bEtrayEr

thepyawkt

I have the P-SSD1800 SSD, 8GB. When I go into device manager, the driver is a Microsoft driver, version 5.1.2535.0

The performance is not terrible for XP Pro., but I did all the mods mentioned in the "steps to a happy XP experience" forum on this website. Start up is a pain, but once it gets going, it's not terrible. However, whenever you come to a task with any writing involved, you will definitely bogg down.

It does seem to be an unrefined driver issue. Has there been any new drivers by Microsoft or Samsung to help alieve this problem?

I am just really surprised that a system that has such good quality parts and design everywhere else, would be fit with such a poor SSD engine, and dodgy drivers to then run it....

thepyawkt, Nov 29, 2008
  13. bEtrayEr

weni

Unfortunately...

<<slow>> Intel SSD
    <<worst>> 2200 mA battery

Im still happy that I got my Aspire One... It´s not really sloth-y.
    Apart from that, I am looking for an SD card to match the SSD performance, or atleast waiting for one to be invented. So i guess that having the slow SSD is better, so I have my system "on par". I know i talk nonsense but that the only relief i can find for myself, of why i got the worst SSD is thinking that. And the battery... that does strike me, and it´s "GROSS" that acer can do such a thing without telling the buyer that he can have the chance of getting something that is probably 10% less efficient than something else at the same price.

Anyways,
    Store: APPInformatica (Murcia)
    AAO Blue, 512MB, 8G SSD, 2200mA

weni, Dec 5, 2008
  14. bEtrayEr

ronime

SanDisk Extreme III 30mb/s Edition looks promising. Still very expensive at the moment though, almost costs as much as an MTron SLC SSD of the same capacity but the MTron SSDs are over twice as fast.

ronime, Dec 5, 2008
  15. bEtrayEr

ostkamp

ostkamp, Dec 8, 2008
  16. bEtrayEr

irq

Could you provide a little more info.......where you got the drive, bios changes, if any.

thanks

irq, Dec 28, 2008
  17. bEtrayEr

sinc

I picked up an Aspire one with 8gb SSD and xp- from a store I can return it to- and found it has a different intel SSD than the the linux models. It's name is SSDPAMM0008G1. It seems to be faster than the SSDPAM0008G1EA, which would make sense because everyone says the SSDPAM0008G1EA really isn't fast enough to run xp.

Here are the results:

[attachment=1:3gh5haua]intel.jpg[/attachment:3gh5haua]

For comparison, here is the same benchmark (which I copied from an earlier post by popol55) done on a Samsung AAO:

[attachment=0:3gh5haua]samsung.jpg[/attachment:3gh5haua]

It looks like the max write speeds are slightly slower than for the samsung, and the read speeds are about the same.

Am I wrong in thinking that the SSDPAMM0008G1 is faster than the SSDPAM0008G1EA? If someone has run this same benchmark on the SSDPAM0008G1EA would they please post it? Or point me to where it's posted, I haven't found it.

Thanks

sinc, Dec 30, 2008
  18. bEtrayEr

sharksam

sinc,

I also have the Z-P230 / SSDPAMM0008G1 SSD in my AAO, and have gotten test results similar to yours. After searching around a bit more here, it does seem that there are three SSDs people might have, based on their Model Names:

SSDPAM0008G1EA (Intel): 23 MBps read / 5 MBps write
    SSDPAMM0008G1 (Intel Z-P230): 38 MBps read / 10 MBps write
    (Samsung P-SSD 1800): 36 MBps read / 12 MBps write

I was also initially concerned that I had a 'slow' Intel SSD, but the speed appears to be pretty comparable to the Samsung SSD, as you mentioned. At this point I don't see any reason for me to return the AAO based on slow SSD speeds...

Is anyone with a SSDPAMM0008G1 experiencing slower performance?

sharksam, Dec 30, 2008
  19. bEtrayEr

sinc

I'm just wondering if my post is lost at the end of this thread...Should I re-submit as a new post? After all, it is a first benchmark on a new model. I think people might be interested.

By the way, I since looked in the bios of another AAO, a limpus 1gb/8gb model, and the SSD is a SSDPAMM0008G1 (which I assume would also have 10+ write speeds).

sinc, Dec 30, 2008
  20. bEtrayEr

grantrice

I too have the 8GB XP model # AOA110-1588 or # ZG5. Purchased in canada from Staples.
    Device manager and BIOS shows SSDPAMM0008G1.
    Glad it is the better Intel drive. I was worried after reading these posts but it was a must have item.

It takes about 2 minutes to boot up and get online from a cold start and under a minute to shut down.
    Wireless worked right out of the box.

The drive space after installing 28 windows update files, latest java, WMP 11 and McAfee updates is 2.13 or 2.3 GB.
    Drive is formated FAT32, with write caching on (default) and Restore off (default).

So far so good. Great machine.

I think perhaps a new thread should be started for this model if it a new one released over the holidays.

grantrice, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question