Different SSDs ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bEtrayEr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bEtrayEr

Forone

News today: "RunCore’s new line of SSDs is now shipping, and the drives are priced very competitively. They’re available in 16, 32, 64, and 128gb capacities and should retail at $69, $119, $199, and $389. Price/performance ratio is good, with read/write speeds on the drives at about 75/40 mb/s."

I got the 160g HDD, but could see picking up a spare 32 or 64 at reasonable cost for travel. This should get really competitive in 2009.

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/12/runco ... pping.html

Forone, Dec 31, 2008
  2. bEtrayEr

ronime

Pity they decided to enclose the 1.8" ZIF drives in a case. This will make them a PITA to install in the AAO. I don't know why they could not use the same PCB format as the OEM Samsung and Intel SSDs.

ronime, Dec 31, 2008
  3. bEtrayEr

Lenoig

Lenoig, Jan 3, 2009
  4. bEtrayEr

ronime

The specs on the MyDigitalDiscount site list these as "5mm ZIF" devices. My suspicion is that this refers to a packaged 1.8" ZIF device with a 5mm height.

Power consumption is somewhat alarming too - 0.6A in read/write mode. That's more than a WD Scorpio Black (7200rpm) 2.5" hard disk.

ronime, Jan 5, 2009
  5. bEtrayEr

Beagleux

Is there any installed application in Linpus to do the same kind of test as HD Tune or is there any easy to install package? Tried it through wine. But it didn't work.

Beagleux, Jan 8, 2009
  6. bEtrayEr

ronime

hdparm -tT /dev/sda

ronime, Jan 8, 2009
  7. bEtrayEr

briviere

Becareful because this SSD is not recognized in bios 3309.

I Had to wait RMA because of not working.
    Here are some pictures...
    http://depannage.tv.free.fr/images/ssdruncore/

Sad story :cry:

briviere, Feb 27, 2009
  8. bEtrayEr

El Matarife

I have the SSDPAMM0008G1 and I have been very happy indeed with how fast my AAO runs. I think many people with the ...G1 have been thinking they had the ...G1EA. I would be happy to carry out a benchmark test on my SSD - does anyone know of sofware that I can use to do so with Linpus Lite? My boot time is just a couple of seconds. I love it!

El Matarife, Mar 18, 2009
  9. bEtrayEr

briviere

No solution receive from runcore...
    I decided to install a 1,8" Zif Toshiba HDD

briviere, Mar 20, 2009
  10. bEtrayEr

ronime

Interestingly, MDD seem to list all of the RunCore ZIF SSDs as suitable only for the HP Mini.

ronime, Mar 20, 2009
  11. bEtrayEr

jrs

jrs, Mar 21, 2009
  12. bEtrayEr

Duffer

From Wikki: "The A110 model ships with an 8gb or 16gb solid-state drive (SSD). Early 8gb models come with the Intel Z-P230, model SSDPAMM0008G1. This SSD has been criticized for its slow read and write speed. Intel lists the drive's maximum speeds as 38MB/s read and 10MB/s write.[16] . Later models come with the slightly faster Samsung P-SSD 1800."

Duffer, Apr 4, 2009
  13. bEtrayEr

nant15

you need to install fbwf or ewf to make it fast. It's normal for ssd to be slow wjen dealing with small files write - as you would find when saving lots of doc or xls files to usb drive. Acer have mod their linux to write to ram so it looks faster compared to windows. Fbwf and ewf would help you do the same on windows

I have windows seven on my aao but it breaks today...looking for info in this forum.

nant15, Apr 18, 2009
  14. bEtrayEr

Tomba

You should also defintifely check out Flashpoint when you are thinking about running Windows 7 ! (See viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12430)

Tomba, Jul 3, 2009
  15. bEtrayEr

mw22

mw22, Jul 25, 2009
  16. bEtrayEr

kaldek

Yep - I am using the RunCore 32GB unit from Solid State Central right now. I'm not sure what model of Aspire One you have, but if it's a 110 or a 150, you need a different product than the one you linked to. It doesn't say that it is compatible yet, but I'm living proof. http://www.solidstatecentral.com.au/sto ... cts_id=239

It literally just dropped right into the same space, used the same screw to hold it in place and even the same cable to connect to the motherboard.

And it's fast too - I'm running Windows XP and can't tell I'm on a flash disk at all. It's really great for the price, and it even comes with a USB connector and USB cable in case you want to copy data onto it before you install it - like image the existing SSD drive for example. Very handy.

There was one niggle - the ZIF connector lock wouldn't stick on mine so I basically had to tape it down to hold the cable in place. No big deal to my mind as the connector locks themselves are flimsy plastic and it doesn't need much force to hold it down. Oh, also for some reason Windows 7 won't seem to boot properly and keeps complaining about missing registry files. The data is definitely there though and the disk isn't corrupted so I don't know what the problem is yet. XP works fine though and so does Linux. Haven't tried Vista but I'm assuming it would behave much like Windows 7 at that point in the boot process.

kaldek, Aug 5, 2009
  17. bEtrayEr

Robert Lake

I put in SuperTalent 32G in my AAO 110, instead of the original 8G. Big difference with the original linpus. Now my machine works more like an ordinary laptop. £82 was a bit expensive, but its well worth it if you plan to use the machine on a more professional or regular basis.

Robert Lake, Nov 14, 2009
  18. bEtrayEr

acervan

acervan, Nov 16, 2009
  19. bEtrayEr

Sudsmcduff96

You should also try Flashfire [New name for Flashpoint] in Windows XP. I tried it on mine and used it for a few weeks. My Windows XP is actually usable :) Not lagging even in the middle of installing updates.

Sudsmcduff96, Feb 7, 2010
  20. bEtrayEr

JDoo

Installed an Intel x25 (80GB) SSD into my A0532h. Here are the results of HD Tune
    Transfer Rate Minimum : 142.9 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 206.1 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 199.8 MB/sec
    Access Time : 0.2 ms
    Burst Rate : 76.7 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 11.3%

Also - Windows (7) experience Index Score for Primary hard disk: 7.6 (disk transfer rate)

JDoo, Mar 8, 2010
Ask a Question