Disable Auto Login Help

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by thespangleman, Nov 26, 2008.

1. thespangleman

thespangleman

Hi,

I am new to the world of Linux and the AA1 and would like to disable the auto login feature. I have read that you have to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.S , which will enable me to eedit the appropriate line. Please could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can fine /etc/rc.d/rc.S to enable me to do this.

Thanks in advance, Barry.

thespangleman, Nov 26, 2008
  2. thespangleman

markh

Alt-f2, type terminal, hit return. That will get you a terminal. Type sudo mousepad /etc/rc.d/rc.S (careful, it's case sensitive) and hit return. That will launch you a text editor called mousepad with the file loaded in it. The "sudo" part gives you root access to the file. Other files you edit may not need it.

Alternatively, you could just type sudo mousepad, which will give you a blank mousepad, and use the open menu option to find the file. Either way is fine.

markh, Nov 26, 2008
  3. thespangleman

thespangleman

Thank you so much Mark, really helpful. I'm starting to get my head around this operating system.

thespangleman, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question