disable/enable root user

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zootime, Apr 24, 2009.

1. zootime

zootime

hi
    im absolutely new to linux and am not quite sure about the "root" concept. how do i know if im "root"? i heard it can be dangerous to be logged in as root user, especially as a newbie, because of accidentally harming the system or making it more accesible to intruders. how can i find out if im logged in as root and log out if i am?
    ive done some very basic stuff following guides to install ff3 and oo3 on my aa1. it all worked fine but i read that when installing rpm packages the system would prompt for a password (the one i set up when i started up the first time) but it didnt. oh yeah i activated the advanced mode as well coz i was getting tired of the acer desktop.
    so is it possible at all that my system logs in as root when i start up or am i worrying too much?
    thx for your replies
    alastair

zootime, Apr 24, 2009
  2. zootime

Japser

Look at this sequence of commands ( on my machine, which is not an Acer-One )
    ( dx2000 is the hostname, rj is my username ):

Note that the last character of the prompt changes from ' $ ' in ' # '
    ( 'pwd' = Print Working Directory )
    ( 'cd' without an argument moves you to your 'home directory' ( symbolised by ' ~ ' ).

On the Acer-One-Linpus you are automatically logged in as a user called 'user'.
    With 'sudo' you can do things as root without being asked for a password ( also change root's password ).
    But I think that if you try to login via a network, with telnet or ssh you will be asked for the user-password.

Yes and no.

--Japser.

Japser, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question