disable Linpus Thai/Chinese hotkey

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jack Vermicelli, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

I routinely use ctrl+shift+lclick to open a page in a new background tab in Firefox, generally applying the ctrl and shift keys in that order. However, holding ctrl and then hitting shift also acts as a hotkey to cycle oriental character keyboard support under Linpus. As I don't foresee the need to use any other character set than the western, I'd like to at least disable this hotkeying, if not the alternate keyboard support entirely. Probably a simple fix, but this is only my second day of using this system, and already more than my total past linux experience. Any help?

Thanks,
    Jack

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 27, 2008
  2. Jack Vermicelli

scottro

Usually, this is in a $HOME/.scim/config file. That is, in your home directory (/home/usr) there should be a hidden file (hence the period in front of the name) called .scim. In that directory, there should be a file called config. Note that this is based on how it works on most Linux and BSD systems, the way Linpus modifies many things (and I don't have one here to look at) this might be different.

In there there should be a line

/Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger = Control+space

You can try commenting that out by putting a # in front of the line. If you don't use scim at all, however, you can see about disabling it at boot. With Linpus, I'm not sure where they hide that. Also, it's possible that they have a systemwide .scim/config file hidden somewhere. It might just be less work to, as soon as you log in, type

pkill scim

scottro, Sep 27, 2008
  3. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

Ah! Thank you, sir. There was a "scim setup" on the right-click menu for the language support icon in tray, but I had no idea what it was, the meaning behind the string of letters (acronym?) being rather opaque (typical in my limited experience with linux). With a little poking, I disabled hotkeys, and then hopefully the entire process. Gonna reboot to see what effects may hold, but I have a feeling that the nuisance has been solved.

Again, appreciated.

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 27, 2008
  4. Jack Vermicelli

quikkie

if you have no use for thai/vietnamese/chinese/japanese character input then you could disable scim from starting at boot.

To do this I moved the scim.conf file from /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/ to my home directory and rebooted. It worked for me so I deleted scim.conf.
    To move the file; from a terminal: sudo mv /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf ~/
    or if you want to delete it: sudo rm /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf

I haven't yet removed the SCIM packages but will try after doing a full system backup :cool:

quikkie, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question