Disc Errors

Discussion in 'Linux' started by syd96, Feb 11, 2009.

1. syd96

syd96

Hi All,

Just got my AAO ZG5 with Linpus pre-installed last week and I have been playing with it. The first thing I did was take a full disc image using Acronis True Image onto an external hard drive. What I want to do is to dual boot XP and Ubuntu 8.10. Once the system is fully installed and configured I want to take a full disc image using Acronis so that I can easily restore without having to reinstall. Done this on lots of occasions on many machines but now I am stumped.

I have installed XP and Ubuntu as follows:

XP partition: 20 GB NTFS
    / partition: 20GB EXT3
    Swap: 1.5GB EXT3
    /home: 108.5GB

The idea is that I want to use the ext2fs driver in XP in order to access my /home partition as I do with my main laptop. Both OS's are booting and working fine. The only hitch is that ext2fs will allow me to map the /home partition but when I try to access it in Win Explorer it is saying that the partition is not formatted and would I like to format.

When I boot Acronis to take a disc image and then start the backup of the whole disc, I get the following error:

"Some partitions contain errors and can be imaged only sector-by-sector. It is recommended that you exit Acronis True Image Enterprise Server and check the partitions with your system's disk-checking tools. Are you sure you wnat to continue with imaging?"

If I deselect the Ubuntu partitions then I get no error. When I installed just XP and formatted the entire disc as NTFS, no error. No matter how many times I reinstall Ubuntu I still get the same error. Curiously enough I got the same error on backing up the original Linpus install.

Have not tried installing Ubuntu on EXT2 but I don't think that this will make much of a difference as Linpus was installed with EXT2. So it would seem that my AAO just does not like Linux partitions.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Cheers,
    Syd

syd96, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question