Disc management

Discussion in 'Linux' started by themadscotsman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. themadscotsman

themadscotsman

Hi everyone,

I have today upgraded my memory and installed a 60gb 1.8" hard drive. Thanks to all who posted tips for both.
    I backed up my 8gb ssd using these instructions,
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

I managed to restore to the hard drive and it boots successfully and the system knows the hard disc size is 60gb but looking in file manager the partition is only 6.4gb.
    I tried to open disk management under the system menu and a pop up error message under the heading User mount tool says that "there are no file systems which you are allowed to mount or unmount, contact your administrator".

I'm new to all this Linux stuff but I have been getting places with help from this forum. I have done a search for disk management and user mount tool but no entries in the forum.
    Any advice greatfully received.

themadscotsman, Jan 24, 2009
  2. themadscotsman

daldred

How did you format and partition the new drive?

daldred, Jan 24, 2009
  3. themadscotsman

hardran3

You will need to boot from a live CD or a usb stick and make the changes from there, because you cannot change a partition you have booted from.

hardran3, Jan 24, 2009
Ask a Question