Display is distorted.

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jparla, Sep 19, 2009.

1. jparla

jparla

I completed the 10.5.6 install for dummies. From step 27 on, my display is gray with distorted (slanted) text. The mouse cursor is a twirling colored pinwheel. This occurs whether Quartz Extreme is enabled or disbled. The dock is white with no icons. If I boot into safe mode (-x) the display appears fine. What did I miss?

jparla, Sep 19, 2009
  2. jparla

yohko101

proper video drivers i think is the problem. check if you have the appleintelgma kext and the integratedframebuffer.kext and the natit.kext installed in /S/L/Extensions/. check also if you have the proper permissions and then re-cache the extensions.mkext either by a terminal command or delete it and reboot with a -f flag

yohko101, Sep 20, 2009
  3. jparla

jparla

The three kext files are there (appleintegratedframebuffer.kext ). I deleted the mkext file and rebooted with the -f parm. Problem persists. Would the permissions be different in safe mode? The display looks fine in safe mode. What permissions do I need for these files?

jparla, Sep 20, 2009
  4. jparla

yohko101

try this on the terminal
    Code:
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
    sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    Also if that doesnt work, try deleting the appleintel*, and reinstall it.

yohko101, Sep 20, 2009
  5. jparla

jparla

Thanks again...I appreciate your help. I made the changes to the permissions, but the problem still occurs. I deleted and reinstalled the kext, but problem is still there. I deleted the AppleIntelGMA950.kext, and rebooted. The display appears to be working.

Have I exposed myself to any additional problems?

FYI during the initial software update was 10.5.8 Mac OSX Update Combined.

jparla, Sep 20, 2009
  6. jparla

yohko101

what i have done before is delete the appleintelgma950, the appleintegrated buffer and the natit.kext. reboot. it should boot with 800x600 resolution. then afterwards, i installed this package : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14122&start=30#p89766 . then i installed the natit.kext again. i fixed the permissions and deleted the mkext. then rebooted, and it fixed it for me.

what model of the aao are u using by the way? if its the 715, ive heard it has some problems with the graphics.

yohko101, Sep 20, 2009
  7. jparla

jparla

Once more, thank you for your help. I will backup this partition, then try your suggestions and the Voodoo Kernel.

I have an AAO 150-1178. It is running 1024x600 resolution after my last post. Besides Mac OS X V 10.5.8, I am multi-booting Windows XP and Windows 7 RC. Ubuntu is next, then Android or Chrome OS.

jparla, Sep 20, 2009
Ask a Question