Display saturation - specifically reds

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by d-z, Nov 8, 2008.

1. d-z

d-z

Compared to most other displays, the reds on the aspire one's seem to lean towards the blue spectrum. As a result the reds seem extremely desaturated in comparison. I can't seem to find any complaints and even find talk of the led backlighting boosting saturation in reviews (although these don't appear to be hands-on). What's the deal here? Am I just missing some configuration options somewhere?

d-z, Nov 8, 2008
  2. d-z

adrianaitken

I think its because the LCD doesn't show true colours - I think it only 242000 instead of 16 million. Therefore something has to give.

adrianaitken, Nov 8, 2008
  3. d-z

donec

I have heard others talk of this and yet on my screen when I place a rainbow color scale on the screen the reds look very good as do all the colors.

donec, Nov 8, 2008
  4. d-z

Triophile

There seem to be at least a couple of different iterations of AAO LCD panels. I pulled a cracked screen out of a 110 I'd bought cheaply, and slotted in a new screen. The electronics behind the panel were different - smaller and more compact, I seem to remember, on the newer panel. The viewing angles, backlight leakage and colour saturation also seemed slightly better on the more modern screen, though I thought there was a very slight reddish cast.

On my old 150 (which I sold to a friend), I thought the colour generally was pretty good, though I wasn't looking critically. be interesting to see if anyone's tried calibrating an AAO screen. I wouldn't say on either older or newer panles that reds were extremely desaturated though.

I just bought another AAO150 with a cracked screen at a good price, and am hoping to get another of the newer panels for it when I buy the replacement.

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile, Aug 7, 2010
  5. d-z

Forone

Running XP Home, right-clicking desktop I can get into the Intel graphics dialog and play with "Color Correction" - I've been pleased with the quality of the display as shipped, especially as compared with some of the other netbooks out there with terrible displays.

Forone, Aug 7, 2010
Ask a Question