distro error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GordonAnderson, Jan 3, 2009.

1. GordonAnderson

GordonAnderson

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. I bought a copy of "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" third edition, an apress book, that came with a dvd with install files for ubuntu. I have an Acer Aspire One with 1G or ram and a 120 G hard drive running XP. I also have a USB dvd drive that seems to work fine. The first step I tried to do from the book was run ubuntu from the dvd in what they call distro mode. Ubuntu does boot up but the GUI fails to load and I get the following error from in the screen:
    udevd-event[1498]: run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
    I have tried to run in the safe graphics mode with the same results. The disk indicates this is version 8.04.
    When the GUI fails to load I do seem to have a fully functional command line interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Gordon

GordonAnderson, Jan 3, 2009
  2. GordonAnderson

spinnekopje

Maybe there are some faults on the disk. You could download the intrepid iso if you like and try with that one. I've had similar problems with corrupted cd-roms.
    To be more sure you can check the md5sum of the iso file after downloading.

spinnekopje, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question