Dividing windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by maya, Aug 15, 2008.

1. maya

maya

I'm doing translation and I need to view two parts of the same document simultaneously. In MS Word there is a simple “Split” command that divides the screen to do that. Is there a way to do this in Openoffice.org? Is it possible to view two parts of the same document on a single screen?
    Thank you

maya, Aug 15, 2008
  2. maya

hmraao

Re: Dividing windows in OpenOffice.org Writer

You can open up multiple views of the same document through the Window>New Window menu in OOWriter. If you make changes in one window, they're reflected in the other. That's the easy bit.

Now, if you want to tile the windows, in M$ Windows it's trivially easy, but in Linux (Linpus or any other flavour) that's the hard part. I've seen instructions on how to set this up in Ubuntu that could probably be applied to Linpus. There are also alternate Linux windows managers that are being developed to support tiling.

But my question would have to be, do you really want to do this? Because there's not much room on the AAO desktop, and each window of the open document has a complete complement of menus, toolbars, title and status bar, which all take up space you could be using to view the document.

Generally, users who want to work with more than one window simultaneously find that the bigger the screen the better. The AAO presents a significant challenge in this respect, though undeniably capable in the portability stakes.

Of course, if what you want to do is translate small amounts, on-the-go, maybe your answer is, "yes." In which case, good luck:)

hmraao, Aug 15, 2008
  3. maya

maya

Thank you hmraao for your response.. I did already try your first suggestion and yes, AAO is too small for that and so it is really not convenient. As for the 2nd suggestion, Ubuntu thing, I'm a very newbie and the instructions still feels very complicated for me, so I'll have to try that later in the presence of my mentor . Thanks again :)

maya, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question