DIY Bed bug solution

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hertzian56, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

I had bbs for about 5 years a while ago and got rid of them through using these means. Not in any special order.

1. they can and do hide on the body in clothes, use vasoline in and around your socks it captures them and immobilizes them. They hide between toes as well so putting vasoline around will trap them. Put vasoline on the legs of beds and tables where you are mostly. In socks I would put around the ankles and in between toes, then go up a bit and put a ring of it then put socks on and put another ring of vasoline near the top. They'll get caught by moving around. Also the spray mentioend below can be sprayed on your socks while wearing them to force them to move and likely get caught.

2. A light dusting now and then of diatomaceous earth will cause them to dehydrate and die off while they move around. Even putting clothes in sealed bags or not and dusting them w DE, shoe soles and other places. Make sure you do it lightly you don't want to breath too much of that stuff.

3. Get a spray bottle, alcohol, pine sol and do a 1/3 mix with water. Where you sit the most you can occasionally spray it around, they hate it and the alcohol will kill smaller ones and if you find the eggs spray them down with it it will also kill them. You can also dust them w DE too instead but if you find them I'd recommend wiping them up after you've sprayed with this solution and just in case put DE on there or on top of them where in the garbage. Toilets probably a better place for them though.

The eggs are little white ones in clusters could be on walls, near sockets, along trim and of course bed creases and similar. So the spray is a good way to kill them and if you do it enough they may move on. Even if you don't know where they are spraying can possibly get them.

For me this was hell, I got the itching and I also got psychological distress a lot, just while I was sitting I'd get bites so they were in my clothes and I have caught one of them before scurrying along my leg so it's distressing. I also notice a slight raise in my temperature when they are biting me. And the sleep deprivation was terrible. I don't know where they came from, furniture I bought new possibly or possibly just from another apartment. Could have been a guest had them and they came along. Once I started with the vasoline and spray they were gone but you have to be diligent. This is obviously much cheaper than a pest control company but it's work.

Hertzian56, Aug 19, 2023
Ask a Question