DLSS3 Frame Gen to FSR3 FG on rtx 2060 mobile

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

Holy crap thought I'd make a thread on this. The mod by nukem on nexus and on his github page too replaces DLSS3 Frame Gen into FSR3 Frame Gen for RTX 2xxxx and 3xxxx series cards. I just installed it and made sure the windows graphics hardware scheduling was turned on and restarted. It does work even on my lowly 2060 mobile laptop. I've only used it for Cyberpunk so far but wow. I can't actually say how many fps it's giving me on top of my unlocked fps since I lock that game to 45fps max in both the game settings and in NCP to give my system a break for not much difference smoothness wise from previous 60fps lock.

According to MSI AB overlay I was getting a consistent 90fps up to 120fps. My screen is 120hz. And the DLSS FG option able to toggle on or off in game whereas previously it was greyed out. This should work for all rtx cards. This doesn't work for AMD ironically nor does it work for GTX cards as both the game has to have the dlss3 FG option. GTX cards do not have that. Although 1660s might because they have less rt cores just disabled.

I will do an unlocked fps at my settings and get a baseline for what the benchmark is but I think it's around 60 so +30fps is a pretty good bonus for just downloading a free mod. Also it's good because my GPU is underused in this game most of the time around 37% and my cpu is double that usually even locked at 45fps.

I use dlss2 at 1080p mostly perf setting which is 540p render but bumped it up to balanced which is a step below the quality render mode at 720p so likely balanced it 640p native res then AI upscaled to 1080p. And I have ini tweaks and a range of settings usually focused on lessening the cpu usage. Crowd is at low of course, anything volumetric is low or off, Screen Space Reflections are at low, local mesh med, local shadow mesh quali at low, stuff that doesn't effect cpu usually at high.

I actually plan on going to 60fps lock or even back to 45 so this just helps a smoother framerate instead of adding fps to it. All of this is based on low fan noise and lower cpu usage for me with this old laptop.

https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=description

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  2. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

So in short just follow the instructions and copy the files next to your exe file. Then go into windows graphics settings and make sure hardware scheduling is turned on, you have to restart to get it going.

I plan on trying this on Alan Wake 2 if that has the dlss3 FG option. I just installed the disc cache enabler mod from Starfield in that game to see if it would work since I don't have 80gb right now on my nvme to drag it back over. It's on an external hdd right now. I don't really like that game if you read my thread on it but am interested in these mods and new tech for it.

I don't think I've got other games with dlss3 fg option in them other than Starfield but that's a new patch I think which I haven't got yet. And I didnt' really need it for that game tbh at my settings it ran fine other than the engine's hitching when changing weapons and such. The Disc Cache enabler mod for Starfield is mostly for HDD and is not going to benefit my SSD install much if at all so not sure I'll install it or not.

Cyberpunk is what I'm interested in most of games I currently play. And I may get into that more a bit with the new LUT and new weather env file. Nova Lut and customized weather env by themanualenhancer. I had the Vanilla PLus no green tint LUT previously and the Weather Probability Rebalance-No Vignette-More Rain branch for weather. Game I've played probably approaching or around 1000hrs and I'm pretty much done with.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  3. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

And as I've said I turn off turbo boost for my cpu to limit the overuse of it by boosting it's speed. I do this by the power plan and limiting processor to 99% so it only goes up to the base 2.4ghz. MUCH less fan noise and barely notice in games like RDR2, 77, and of course lower level than those games. I help my cpu out even more by limiting to 45fps. Less usage less heat, lower fan usage mostly silent and not much loss of fps just as smooth.

In games turn off vsync and just limit your fps to what feels good to you it's much better. NCP can do this or RTSS also etc 77 has a game setting for this as well.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  4. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

So yeah I do get more cpu usage along with the gpu usage which isn't my favorite tbh The main benefit to me here is to be able to crank up quality levels and get the same fps as before just with smooth fps at 45 or 60. I get more fan noise at the 60fps lock which I don't want. I also bumped the dlss2 to balanced over quality. Meaning from 540p to 640p native res as quality is 720p upscaled to 1080p. It's a nice free little thing to give more frames in between is all, you really need the full real FG and a $2k rig at at least 2k res to get a real benefit and I think it's great that in dlss3 enabled games you can have this option for 2 and 3 series nvidia cards for some little effort.

A desktop is best for this stuff looking to go from 2k dlss to 4k dlss or so. Fan noise won't be an issue and lots more base power to work with. I did the in game bench and had it locked to 60 via ncp as the in game limiter doesn't work in game here only menus. Must be something about the reg file overriding it or something. As expected I got 58 min 60 max fps on balanced dlss2 showing 1080p.

I plan on going back to 45fps lock via ncp and trying to just get the no or very low fan noise and such. It's not a game changer for me but is a nice little free boost. And I don't know why nvidia didn't have a software option for 20 and 30 level cards at least where it's not 50 extra fps but 10-20fps, other than selling cards. Just a little boost for smoothness at 45 is fine and if you're on the cusp of a locked 60 like I am when i limit it to 60 it's even better. Locked to 60 it goes down to 45 sometimes so there you go for why I locked it in there. Of course there are frame killer areas of the game but they're high npc count and action, doesn't really matter what rig you have. If I didn't care about usage and fan noise I'd turn on turbo boost, set it to quality dlss2 and prob still do a 60 lock but it would run hot and be a jet engine sound. So it's minimal benefit for me in particular.

A newer laptop with a 3060 and a much better cpu would benefit too. Even a 2070-2080 laptop which usually have 6 core/12t cpu and better cooling systems. Once we're to the 50 series this won't matter of course but right now it's good.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  5. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

And keep in mind older cards and such won't be able to use FG in games that don't have support for FG. Old games are not likely to get that support by devs. Maybe the biggest games might. Witcher 3 got dlss fg support in a patch but it's not likely GTAV will ever get it, it didn't even get the RT support on pcs like it did with consoles so hard to think fg is going to get attention. RS don't care about V much especially SP part of it. Online multplayer might be even less worth it to them, on top of server lag you could get ghosting and such etc.

FG is mostly to help RTPT be more viable on current mid range equipment which so far is 40 series but most people w current cards are still at the 30 series unless they are the type to constantly upgrade every 2 or less years, wasted money there. And also for 4k dlss2 to be enabled with it. It's not really worth it unless a game is geared to it aka dark, neon, wet, glossy glass etc all over. It's actually less realistic than real life to have that so you get demonstrator type of games.

77 is mostly a graphical showcase with some half baked game thrown in with flashy characters and snappy modern netflix writing to it. Thus story rich stuff is lacking in major aaa games for a long time and don't say aw2 it's like the ending says, a spiral or really the spiral is a winding crooked barrel full of snakes that happens to resemble a geometric spiral. We'll get some real progress and resolution in another 15 years from remedont lol Oh sure you get these corny stories that make no sense and are so videogamey logic that the actual gameplay is just mundane go here do this fetching or "mysterious" like saga pulling stuff out of the air. Done in a cinematic way to pad of course. Button prompt to button prompt is much less fun then a simple mario game or driving game tbh Go here get this because of this etc

Rockstar just puts a layer of "it must be done using this and/or in this way or you fail and try again" onto it. The other side is a shallow short main story but build your own character and find stuff that's scattered around to do things in a few ways with a few outcomes like Starfield Bethesda. All of them have recurring busy work for those who enjoy the loop. I enjoy Far Cry 2's world and freedom but it's really the same base objectives in different ways and exploring for it's sake or for collectathon like over 200 diamond cases and other more rare collectibles like the golden AK's. The loop is satisfying to me and like many open world games most of the world is not used for the main story but for that only if you want to do that.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  6. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

At a locked 45fps I was using to minimize fan noise and cpu temps this was just not enough of a benefit. There is ghosting behind the car and in other places like those flames on smokestacks and I got the occasional single stutter might have been the game saving like it does that autosave thing. This is all just cp77 so far.

Uh so yeah not going to use it for fan noise and jankiness at 45fps lock I use. But leave it in there, it's just a couple of small files so not a big deal. Like I said if fan noise and higher cpu usage isn't an issue for you go for it. Someone with a better mobile cpu than my i5 even with the same gpu could also benefit. But the huge jump I had from a non restricted fps was amazing. I get usually around 60 down to 45 or so normal play and w this fsr3 mod got 90-120 in places which means 30fps up to 60fps extra from it only cost is higher cpu, higher gpu usage, obvious ghosting from car tail lights in tpp and some hitches here and here.

Well worth it for a more powerful system that easily does 60 at med-high settings and has a better cooling system. RT always cost me about 20fps so never used it but it might be possible with this enabled. I still don't feel it's a benefit most of the time other then in very specific places where you would notice like a shiny car in the city with lots of light or high contrast areas where light bounce is more pronounced. Normal gameplay it's not worth the hit unless you've got so much raw power that it doesn't make too much of a difference, system just ramps up a bit more to handle it.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  7. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

If this was just the ghosting with only very small increase in cpu usage and the about 15% more gpu usage I noticed as well as the same low to no fan noise on my laptop I'd use it. And of course if I had a solid base of 60fps with little fan noise too. But I just don't have those.

I went from about 60-72% to a high of 95% cpu usage and a 37 to about 50 usage gpu but it's the cpu that's limited for me it's the hot one like all intel cpus are especially mobiles. Of course taking into account the off turbo boost I left set. If I leave on turbo boost even at the lower 45fps no fsr3 it's jet fan noise unnecessarily and higher temps by 20c for nothing but just a bit more smoothness in higher complexity, more action scenes but not enough for all that for my conservative needs for longevity.

Hertzian56, Jan 6, 2024
  8. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

Coming back to this, this is good if you don't mind more system usage, fan noise and can deal with the ghosting, artifacting and hitching this introduces. It's a tech that is for already high fps systems that were killing it already at 2k/4k with regular ray tracing on aka more than 60fps. Then it would boost you up to 100+ fps. It's also for Path Tracing at 4k with dlss2 upscaling(which is really just 1080p at the performance setting with fancy AA tricks done).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/oymxyp/dlss_20_render_resolutions_one_post_to_rule_them/

If you don't have all that it's hardly worth it unless you are fine with the noticeable extra system usage and fan noise which I definitely take into account. So for mid-low end it's def not worth it, just turn down your settings and tune the game to your systems real capabilities. No shame in that and the avalanche of games that are older but really higher quality then any games of the last few years run just fine on mid-low systems.

Hertzian56, Jan 7, 2024
  9. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

I also tried this on Alan Wake 2 but on an hdd which I was trying for the disc cache mod and this of course. But I didn't get too far as the game crashed and I didn't have time to go through it again. The loading time is still an atrocious amount for it on an hdd, likely 5 mins real time. I think that game is a POS though and once I need the 85gb room it's gone, the repack is about 40gb I think but I can't imagine ever wanting to watch this movie game ever again it's so bad. Remedont went from a much better Control game to this POS, at least their next projects are remakes of Max Payne games, rockstar ips they are contracted as the devs on. So RS will likely curb Remedont's pretentiousness and indulgent narcissism of it's ceo and team.

Hertzian56, Jan 7, 2024
  10. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

Put this mod into the Dying Light 2 folder as well but didn't find any setting for FG in the game. And even Techland has gone downhill since shyster megacorp bought them. This game is dull compared to the first one which I'm replaying now. And reading the steam discussions on it TL has put a form of micortransactions in there even more then they had, DL bucks or something. I don't think games won't just be chock full of paid "dlc" skins and other nonsense as well as in game microtransactions and other garbage from now on. I'd stick with indys and bigger games that don't have dlc abuse. Doesn't matter in the free versions that are largely offline though.

Other than that the only other games that would even have FG as an option are like the Tomb Raider that had it put in there years later or Metro Exodus and others. Not interested in going back to those or the hassle of finding the free versions that are patched up to that level. So FG is really for new games which I've said mostly suck and will likely suck even more in future.

The other type of new game you get is like Alan Wake 2. A 20-25hr if you take your time, A LOT, for 60$+ which then requires a $2k system to play smoothly at settings that don't look like a 2015 game. AW2 for me at all low on 1080p dlss at the perf setting which is just 540p, looks like a mod textured Fallout 4 from 2015. FO4 has a large open world with all sorts of stuff to do and find with 2 new area DLCs and is half the install size, thus even today it's a better game than AW2 and also FO4 GOTY can be had for likely 10-20$ or less on sale. I must have over 500hrs in it with my time playing it over the years. One playthrough of the story and dlcs is likely over 70hrs just the story part, the side missions and such would double that. AW2 and similar ripoff games are just that, a ripoff.

Hertzian56, Jan 7, 2024
  11. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

I just saw this on dsog who had an article about it. It's called Lossless Scaling and previously did a sort of dlss/fsr thing with any game. Note that Nvidia has had image scaling for a long time in their driver which does very similar to dlss, aka scaling up a lower render res to the target resolution. The angle with dlss and fsr is just forms of AI or better software and in nvidias case some gpu hardware components dedicated to crunching it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/

He just released the frame gen version of it so we'll see how it is in different reviews and tests. As I've said FG isn't really needed if you're 1080p or some settings in 2k and NO RT in either of those. Most cards of the last 3 years can handle 1080p-60 at mostly high-med settings so FG isn't really worth it unless you find RT to be worth it and want the fps hit to be negated. I could obviously claw back the 20-40fps hit of RT on cp77 back with FG but really it's not a game changing tech for visuals most of the time.

It's really so these lazy ass devs can do less work and release on a shorter time schedule than the 5 years for a large open world game. UE5 is another indication of this standardization for faster time to market and more games to market but it's not a well optimized engine and results in samey type looking games. RT you wouldn't have to do the work of raster just build your world and textures and set a lighting source and let RT do the rest. It's way too early of a release in games is due to the writing on the wall about games, they're not getting better nor wortth the inflated costs in both the software and hardware size. Like it or not there is legion of games old and new that don't need this garbage stuff at this cost and the younger gamer crowd uses their phones more than anything.

Hertzian56, Jan 10, 2024
  12. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

As far as fps goes yeah it does get more smooth the closer you are to you screens hz refresh rate. For my 120hz screen going from around 60fps up to 90-120fps I def noticed it was more fluid so even though I can't tell the difference between a locked 45 fps and a 60fps it's because it's not enough of a difference and I don't see it spike from 45 to 60 all of a sudden as I did with the FSR3 mod in 77.

This is similar to the effect of old tvs or dvd quality was FINE but if you put it next to a 1080p screen at 60hz THEN you notice it and prefer it but it's not any better at conveying story content only at more details and better colors more colors in the case of HDR. And you notice it more if you are close enough to the screen going from 1080 to 4k no doubt. But at a distance you wouldn't notice it. It's like if you're very scrupulous and you dig a ditch to then fill it up, it make no difference if you missed a shovel full of dirt somewhere but if you are looking and keeping track up close you'll see you need just another shovel full or so of dirt to perfectly fill the hole up. Idk maybe that's too rough of a comparison.

So yeah Frame Gen FG is really only useful if you are already at least halfway fps to your screens hz and then boosting up to their w FG. If you're at 40fps going to 70 it won't be that noticeable and the extra horsepower needed may not be worth it. I'm not going to enable turboboost and max power modes to get a jet engine to go from around 60 to 90fps with some places and scenarios at 120fps, isn't worth it overall. And like I said the difference between a 60fps limit and 45 is negligible visually.

When I had the 60fps limit for 77 I would get mostly 60 but it would fluctuate down to 45-50 at times in heavy areas and even down to the 30s in some scenarios of high action. So it's better to just lock it at where it can easily be achieved for less usage and more overall smoothness of the game. If I had a desktop where fan noise and usage isn't a big concern then no problems, use FG on a desktop card of at least 20% more powerful and a cpu probably the same or more on top of that. A desktop 2060 is at least 20% more powerful then the mobile 2060. A desktop i5-10300 is likely the same or more extra power so likely a constant 60 at my settings if locked. Not locked it's likely 80 down to 60 or so. So unlock it or limit to 70 then use FG for a steady 100 to 120 would be ideal.

In a slower game like RDR2 this would be even better since the ghosting might not be as bad as say driving around in 77 or combat in 77 but in all games gun or quick combat is going to likely produce a lot of ghosting unless it can sense the high action and turn itself off.

Hertzian56, Jan 13, 2024
  13. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

I now have the lossless scaling version that supports it's own FG but you have to do a couple of things. The game has to be in borderless or in windowed mode, not sure why that is because supposedly there is no real fullscreen in win10 and above but I guess the game must be set to it. And another is the screen refresh rate has to be set at a certain hz for the fps of your game or something. It's kind of confusing. Or no it says limit your fps to HALF your screens hz for me it would be 120/2=60fps lock. check. So idk I usually always use full screen so that's the issue and also have to change say rdr2 from 45 to 60 fps max. Might try it at some point but for now I'm fine with the 45 lock on all games for less fan usage and less system stress overall.

I think 77 is the easiest to use here as rdr2 is heavier and a larger pain to tab in and out of. The guide says you'll need to do that to hit the scale button or whatever to get it going.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/993090/discussions/0/4139437492715610827/

Hertzian56, Jan 13, 2024
Ask a Question