Does anyone just stick with Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bailout, Feb 1, 2009.

1. bailout

ronime

Same here. All my AA1s have been purchased as 512MB/Linpus models and upgraded to 1.5GB/XP.

I may be tempted back to the light side when a fully working UNR distro with an LPIA kernel appears though...

ronime, Feb 13, 2009
  2. bailout

grwkak

Dropped Linpus - tried several other Linux distros but in the end installed XP Home. I have the basic model (8G SSD, 512 Megs RAM) but am able to browse network drives and install Chrome (I know there is a Linux version coming). I liked the Linpus boot time and saved an image of the system if I want to go back.

grwkak, Feb 13, 2009
  3. bailout

GvidoR

When I first got my Linpus Aspire One, I was very impressed by the OS. I used it for less than a day and changed to Windows XP. I used that for quite long, then I changed to Vista and then I changed back to Linpus. I really loved it, I installed a couple of apps & games, enabled xfce mode but then I went back to Windows XP, then I added Windows 7 (Dual-Boot)...

...then I installed eee-buntu. First I tried it without installing it, everything worked (including wireless). I messed up compiz settings so I had to reinstall it. Wireless no longer worked. So I'm back with Windows XP.

I find Windows XP A LOT faster than Linux...

GvidoR, Feb 13, 2009
  4. bailout

DonQuichote

After I bought it, I searched for a whole hour where the terminal or "command prompt" application was and could not find it. So I installed Xubuntu and did not regret it even one second.

DonQuichote, Feb 14, 2009
  5. bailout

epi10mg

epi10mg, Feb 15, 2009
  6. bailout

TheTilde

Still Linpus here too and very happy with it, and quite a linux veteran too.
    Seems to be some horror stories with sound and SDcards elsewhere :p
    (My other machines: Dell620 with Ubuntu)

Anyway, would acer have shipped nonimage desktop theme,
    http://nonimage.com/journal/2008/12/09/ ... e-desktop/
    there would be less people defecting linpus :)
    cheers

TheTilde, Feb 16, 2009
  7. bailout

arthurinparis

I bought my AAO (512MB, 8GB SSD) when I was travelling and sort of short on my budget. So I picked up the basic version with Linpus on. As a Windows user, I was very interested in Linux.
    When I turned on that little guy (yes the AAO :D), I was really satisfied with it and expected some stability. Unfortunately I assumed too fast that I could go crazay with the OS. However, it crashed and I had to get an optical drive at the local BestBuy to get it working again.
    Needless to say, once I was home, I looked up for another distribution than Linpus. However I couldn't leave Linpus...
    Long story short, I only tried Ubuntu 8.10 and it took me 2 months to actually leave it on the SSD more than a week and not re-install Linpus...

Yes, some would say it's sort of an addiction to Linpus, I'm on my way to rehab ahahah !!!

Cheers,

Arthur

arthurinparis, Feb 16, 2009
  8. bailout

Guest Guest

welcome to the clique i also love my aa1 512mb 160gb linpus lite I have updated the mplayer and installed smplayer GUI and got rid of the desktop this is my desktop now
    file:///mnt/home/Pictures/Screenshot-1.png

mike46

Guest, Feb 18, 2009
  9. bailout

Jaycb

Since enabling the full xfce desktop I've been happy with Linpus. I use Xubuntu on an old desktop PC and I wish it were possible to put all of its good points into the AAO but keep the stabilty, speed, hardware 100% working.
    It is simply the case that there is still NO OTHER distro that works with full compatibility with ALL the AAO's hardware out-of-the-box. Until there is I'm sticking with Linpus.
    :)

Jaycb, Feb 19, 2009
Ask a Question