Does the Aspire One need a firewall?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fryups, Feb 8, 2009.

1. fryups

fryups

Hi

First, sorry if this post is in the wrong forum but this seemed most appropriate. I have just bought an Aspire One 150Ab (1Mb RAM, 120Gb) and have been very impressed. However, I am completely new to Linux having only used Windows until now and am concerned about security on the internet. I have searched numerous sites and it seems the advice is not to be too concerned about Anti Virus, but be alert to other intrusions. So, do I need a firewall application (I use COMODO on my Acer laptop) and if so, what program would you recommend. Also, how are applications installed on this OS?

Grateful for any help. Fryups

fryups, Feb 8, 2009
  2. fryups

Rotaj

The I.P. table for the firewall is built into the kernel. A GUI based front-end for this is firestarter. It is available for Ubuntu. It is probably also available in the fedora repositories.

Rotaj, Feb 9, 2009
  3. fryups

gedakc

gedakc, Feb 9, 2009
  4. fryups

fryups

Thanks for the advice. However, unfortunately you have lost me - I don't understand the technicalities you refer to as I'm not Linux literate. In simple terms is it safe to use the Acer One for banking etc or am I going to be subject to spying, viruses etc?

fryups, Feb 9, 2009
  5. fryups

Andysan

Hi there,

Basically, what Rotaj was trying to say is that the kernel has a firewall built in - you can get a very basic overview on what a kernel is here, don't worry if it goes over your head - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computer_science)

gedakc however has noted that the default Linpus kernel has had this removed. I've taken a look at the link posted and it's not an easy fix.

Essentially, you don't have to worry about viruses but you don't have a firewall on your notebook. Your router may have a firewall built in however, just check the spec and if so make sure its enabled and i would think you would be OK. I'd just be careful about what you do in public hotspots, but then again i personally dont enter any personal information over an unfamiliar network.

Can any security-savvy members clarify as to whether i am talking complete tripe please?

Andysan, Feb 9, 2009
  6. fryups

fryups

Thanks Andysan

My router does have a firewall but I am still worried that other computers may be able to 'see' mine - is isn't this a problem running under Linux? I can only compare with my windows laptop firewall (COMODO & previously Zone Alarm) where an option was to stealth my ports. Can I do this on the Acer One?

Thanks

fryups, Feb 10, 2009
  7. fryups

Andysan

Hi again,

I've had another browse of the forum.web on your behalf and the general thoughts seem to indicate that you will be fine without a firewall, as noted below for example, but as i don't know enough about this to prove definitively to you that you'll be safe you'll have to make a call on it unless someone else here can clarify.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6790&p=68281&hilit=firewall#p68281
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3711&p=37278&hilit=firewall#p37278

I'd be interested to hear anything further you find out regarding this.

Andysan, Feb 11, 2009
  8. fryups

fryups

Andysan (and all)

Thanks - after reading the linked threads I feel much happier and confident to use the A1 on mine and other wifi networks. Thanks for the time spent searching the forums, I couldn't find those links! I'll monitor this one for any more news.

fryups, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question