Does Thunderbird add to your boot-time?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Agusta, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Agusta

Agusta

As the title asks really.
    I have done nothing new other than change my mail programme to Thunderbird, and the boot time now seems 6-8 seconds longer (from 18s to 24s+). Is this a known thing with Thunderbird and/or other Firefox programmes?
    Also, is it likely to happen if I change any of the other standard AAO settings?
    Linux will not run two things I need (sync my phone with itunes, and a work-specific programme that only runs with Windows), but the main reason I am trying to stick with Linpus, and not change over to XP, is for the boot-time. If I am going to end up with a similar boot-time by the time I get my AAO configured how I want it, then I might as well switch over now and have both my machines running Windows, and save having to learn Linux.

Agusta, Oct 27, 2008
  2. Agusta

ivor

No thunderbird doesn't affect boot times.

ivor, Oct 27, 2008
  3. Agusta

Agusta

Any ideas what may have increased my boot? I haven't done anything else that I can think of that would affect it.

Agusta, Oct 27, 2008
  4. Agusta

cheops

how did you install TB?

If it was via add/remove programs - then were additional dependancies installed to allow the installation to complete?

The only way that I can think of which might explain your observation is that the TB install triggered other component changes - and one of those has affected your boot time.

You could always temporarily UNinstall TB and see if the boot time shortens...

also, if you are going with TB then presumably the Acer messaging suite is now surplus to your requirements - so it would be interesting to see what happens to your boot time if you uninstalled that.

I'd take a full-image backup first though! ;)

cheops, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question