Don't order from buy.com

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Krista, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Krista

Krista

Don't order from buy.com unless you don't care about the color they send you. I ordered mine on August 31... waited all this time... finally got it today (I order the BLUE one, AOA150-1447) and they sent the white. Of course, they couldn't exchange it since the blue isn't in stock. After I vehemently protested, they gave me a $20 GIFT CERTIFICATE! So, I have to buy something _else_ from them??

I was able to sell it to a co-worker (if her husband likes the keyboard) for what I spent on it ($384, using a 5% off coupon) but of course the blue is out of stock everywhere, unless I buy it for like $429 or even $480... that $20 GC just doesn't cut it :p

I warned 'em I'd post and let you all know too.

Krista

Krista, Oct 10, 2008
  2. Krista

Oberkanone

Don't order from Buy.com....
    Why not, $384, no tax, free shipping, and a $20 dollar discount too.

Others have stated that DHL is no good, CDW is no good, Amazon.com is no good, PC Connection no good (deceptive), misinformation from Acer, .....

Besides Newegg, is there anyone y'all do like?

I am posting this somewhat "tongue in cheek" as I agree shipping wrong color item is not excusable, however, Buy.com did step up and provide an additional $20 off an item that was already discounted 5%.
    I'd be happy to get any color except pink if I could get it for $364.
    I paid $438 at CDW so I would not have to wait. Time is money!

Overall, I'm noticing that there is more complaining here than I see elsewhere.

For meeting it's promised delivery timelines DHL REALLY takes a beating here. They would be better off providing less tracking information on the route taken by packages thru their system IMO.
    DHL, like many shippers has a route and terminal based system that is not a straight line from origin to destination.

Oberkanone, Oct 11, 2008
  3. Krista

penandpaper

i think the OP's concerns is that she waited all this time for a SPECIFIC color and that was not what buy.com delivered. the OP's comments does not relate to DHL whatsoever.

i fully understand the OP's frustrations. acer markets different colors to give people the option of choosing. if you remove that option completely (and i blame buy.com for it) might as well just sell the item "color choice not guaranteed". or, as Ford used to say when selling his Model T, "you can have any color you like as long as it is black".

penandpaper, Oct 11, 2008
  4. Krista

Krista

They _didn't_ provide an extra $20 off the product. They sent me a $20 gift certificate that I have to use to buy something else!

Krista

Krista, Oct 12, 2008
  5. Krista

nchntr

Microcenter has the Blue 120G/XP in stock, $369 shipped. I got mine there a week or so ago, had no problems took about 4 days to get to me. I just checked and they still have some.

nchntr, Oct 12, 2008
  6. Krista

adriana

Krista,

I know how annoyed you must be. I put Buy.com on my S-list when they pulled a funny one on delivery times for a Bluw Acer Aspirwe One as well. I went to CDW and got one delivered in less than a week. I wanted a blue one too but had to settle for white, which I don't mind, the pearly tone is nice.

Take advantage of the $20 and buy a retractable mouse from Buy.com. I prefer retractable because then you can use it on the arm of a chair etc. and retrieval is easy when it falls off...

adriana, Oct 12, 2008
  7. Krista

Krista

I went ahead and used the Ebay deal. I ended up paying about $438.98 (incl shipping) up front, but in... now.. 57 days I'll get $126 cash back into my paypal account from the microsoft live search thing. So hey, good deal :) And I sold the white one to a co-worker for the $384 I paid at buy.com. Still, buy.com NEVER should've done that. *grr*. The nice thing was that I got the tracking number right away and he shipped out next day.. and is supposedly an acer authorized reseller so I should be fine for the warranty. I think it'll be waiting for me at the post office tonight!

I hope I don't regret Not keeping the white when I get the blue and it turns into an interesting display for my fingerprints. The white attracted finger prints too, but you couldn't really see them unless you were looking for them.

Krista

Krista, Oct 16, 2008
  8. Krista

Tweek

Krista, did you happen to notice if the box you got had the number 150-1126 which is the white color or did it have a different number? If you got a white AAO in a different colors box, that would be Acer's fault as opposed to Buy.com. But if in fact you got a white AAO in a 150-1126 numbered box, I would like to know where they got it from and why they didn't send it to me. You are the first person I've seen posting that has actually put an order in before me. I ordered on Sept 1 a white one from Buy.com, and as of Wednesday they still had no idea when they would be getting any in. So I canceled on Wednesday and ordered at ZipZoomFly and the white AAO was shipped out yesterday.

Another word of caution for buy.com is that they have a cancellation policy that can be hairy. You can not up and cancel an order from them outside of the first 15 minutes of an order. You must put in a "Cancel Request" which could take as many as 7 to 10 BUSINESS days to approve (2 weeks). Some horror story reviews from other people tell of upwards of at least 7 days waiting for it to be canceled only for it to actually ship. Which essentially puts you in limbo waiting so you cannot order from elsewhere with out risking getting 2 items. Luckily my order was canceled in only 4 hours.

Buy.com seems to generally have good reviews. I would say they are fine to order from only IF an item is in stock. But if they have it listed as "On order" or "Temporarily out of stock", etc, I would lean away from using them.

Tweek, Oct 17, 2008
  9. Krista

Krista

It was definitely the 150-1126, not the 150-1447 like it should've been.

I suppose I shouldn't be _too_ hard on them. I've had good service in the past... but I waited more than a Month for the product, then they likely oversold, IMO, and just decided to send my a different color rather than have to come back and say, "Oops, we told you it was going to ship but we ran out..."

And the $20 gift certificate to buy.com for compensation was just an insult, IMO. But, I guess I'll go get myself a nice thumb drive.

Krista

Krista, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question