Downloading and Installing Thunderbird Problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alanlangford, Aug 18, 2008.

1. alanlangford

alanlangford

I'm unsuccessful in downloading and installing Thunderbird and need some help. Here's what happens.

At Thunderbird's Web site, I click on the green button to download Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 for Linux i686 English (US)
    After it downloads, I click open in the download window and select Open with xarchiver (default)
    It begins extracting it to /tmp/thunderbird-2.0.0.16.t
    Before it finishes, it stops with the error message "An error occurred while accessing the archive."

Help!

alanlangford, Aug 18, 2008
  2. alanlangford

bassic83

I was able to go into the add/remove software app and get it from the Fedora Repository, it installed no problem. Be sure your internet connection isn't dropping- I had that happen to me twice while downloading an iso of Ubuntu...both times it happened near the end of the d/l. I didn't trust it to match up on the md5sum, so I restarted it. That's three and a half hours of my life I won't get back!

Do the desktop hack that is mentioned here, then you can get to the package manager, which is pirut. Check the List tab, and there is a radio button to display available pakages only, then scroll down to Tbird. Once installed, you can go into the Preferences app, and set it as your default mail client. Hope that helps.

bassic83, Aug 18, 2008
  3. alanlangford

alanlangford

I tried that a couple of days ago and have now tried it again after reading your response but the "Retrieving Software Information" is always so slow. After 10 minutes, the bar is only about 1/6 of the way and seems to have stalled there. So I click Cancel and give up.

alanlangford, Aug 19, 2008
  4. alanlangford

alanlangford

Package Manager finally worked and I was able to download and install Thunderbird! Finally!

alanlangford, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question