Downloading to SD card problems-help please

Discussion in 'Linux' started by derek, Jul 17, 2009.

1. derek

derek

Anybody help or throw any light on whats going on???
    AA1 Liux linpus model
    SD card in the right hand reader side.
    Browser FFox, Navigate to podcasts on BBC pages, Use the right click, Save link as command.
    Have checked that SD card is recognised in the File tree
    I got one to correctly download direct to the SD card but others when i transfer to the mp3 player are not listed.???
    Can others successfully transfer data using this netbook///?? Is it the file manager application or what??
    Thanks anyone who can help

derek, Jul 17, 2009
  2. derek

RockDoctor

Sounds like perhaps the mp3 player isn't being recognized by the system. Do you know that the system sees the mp3 player?

RockDoctor, Jul 17, 2009
  3. derek

derek

Just to clarify- i have a separate SD card for the mp3 , so i was putting just the card into the 5//1 reader of the AA1.
    Tried again downloading straight to the SD card in the reader. Noted that when you click save on the Thunar app, the file name box clears, so i reentered another name with the suffix .mp3 and tried again. Checked that the file did appear in the file tree.
    When completed re installed the card to the Mp3 - file was not there.
    Tried downloading to th e downloaded file. Tried send to function to the SD card. File tree there but when back in the mp3 not there.

So i have gone back to the trusty MS PC, and i can get downloads direct to the sd card and they then are there when back in the MP3 player and they play!!!

So back to aa1 and linux. This time connected a lead from the usb scockets and tried again to the SDcard ie not involving the reader. Same problem as before- shows in the file report but when you disconnect and look on the device its not there.

Is it a Linux thing. Is it the SSD card. Noted on the PC the properties were showing as FAT, is this anything to do with it??

And when you disconnect a device from the AA1 iits says Safely remover using the green button- Whats that!!!

derek, Jul 19, 2009
  4. derek

Rich in ILM

Maybe this has been covered but is the SSD card formatted for FAT32? I don't know much about Liux but, I can't imagine it likes NTFS?

Rich in ILM, Jul 19, 2009
  5. derek

RockDoctor

FAT is good. It's the standard filesystem for SD cards.

If you write an mp3 file to the SD card in Linux, shut down the AA1, then reboot and re-insert the SDcard, does the mp3 file you just wrote show up? If not, then it's not really being written to the SD card, in spite of what Thunar thinks.

When you write a file to the SDcard under Windows, does that file show up under Linux, and vice-versa? It's possible that files are being written to the wrong place on the SD card.

RockDoctor, Jul 19, 2009
  6. derek

sbaute

derek;

Just a newbie myself, but your last sentence of....

"And when you disconnect a device from the AA1 iits says Safely remover using the green button- Whats that!!!"

...makes me wonder if you're pulling the card without properly unmounting them; i.e. - clicking on the "green button" , which is the little white "up" arrow in a green circle just to the right of the drive name in the left panel of "File Manager". If you're simply pulling the device (SD card or USB drive, whatever) without clicking the "green button" and getting the "The device is safe to remove" notice, the write to the drive may not be completed. You may have to click the button a couple of times (it's small, and seems finicky), but sooner or later you ought to get a notice of one kind or another. As I understand it, it's not a good idea to remove the device until you do.

Now, if I could just consistenly resolve my problem of hitting the "green button" and not getting a "can only be unmounted by root" notice when working with my portable USB HD.

Anyway, again, I'm just a newbie myself, and what I'm suggesting may not have any relevance.

sbaute, Jul 20, 2009
  7. derek

derek

It's possible that files are being written to the wrong place on the SD card.[/quote]

Thanks Rock doctor- you made me think again. I did have an empty folder on the card so checked and one download had gone there- added to the confusion. However after cleaning up the card and trying again got the same problems.!!!

Another go- Found out its a Firefox thing!. If you download to the downloads folder no problems. If you download to the card or the mp3 connected by usb, the sequence is--- Dowloads window opens and counts up as it completes, there is an open/delete option when finished. You click open, a warning message appears- " Mp3 is an excutable file, caution etc etc, do you want to continue" , so you click yes, it then does open a player and start playing, but when you visit the card etc the file has downloaded, SUCCESS. Hurray>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So the error was the aa1 was waiting to be told to go ahead with the file, i previously didnt so it never downloaded. OBVIOUS!!!
    The message had a FFox emblem in the corner.

My next decison is on the warning message whether to tick the "Dont ask me again"- i would think i wouldn't need to worry about MP3 but maybe if i do this it will never come up even on an exe file and it is useful to be warned.

Thanks Sbaute about the warning message on pulling out the card. However still cant see it on my machine. I am using the original file manager. However if i right click over the card entry on file manager the options of mount /unmount come up and by following this i no longer ger the message. Incidentally if i just click elsewhere first, such as home and take out the card the message doesn't come on either.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

derek, Jul 22, 2009
  8. derek

derek

JUST A SUMMARY FOR ANY FUTURE USERS SEARCHING FOR HELP ON THIS PROBLEM

IT IS A FIREFOX SECURITY ISSUE THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM. IT NEEDS TO BE TOLD THAT YOU ARE HAPPY TO DOWNLOAD MP3 FILES, WHEN YOU RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE TARGET AS THE FILE WILL ARRIVE IN THE DOWNLOAD WINDOW. ONCE COMPLETED OPEN THE FILE, A WARNING MESSAGE APPEARS. AGREE AND TICK THAT YOU DONT WANT THE REMINDER AGAIN.
    NEXT TIME YOU DOWNLOAD A FILE IT WILL GO TO YOUR MP3 PLAYER, no need to repeat the open task.
    just like the pc , and as you would expect. SUCCESS11111111111111

derek, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question