Dropbox

Discussion in 'Linux' started by krapivka, Sep 12, 2008.

1. krapivka

krapivka

Dear fellows I need to install dropbox, It requires :

libnautilus-extension-dev
    libnotify-dev

Somebody now how to?

krapivka, Sep 12, 2008
  2. krapivka

eti

hey
    i will try it in a few hours, if i have success i will tell you how i did it.
    have searched at google for these packages?

eti, Sep 18, 2008
  3. krapivka

kevin

The dropbox client is a plug-in for Nautilus, isn't it? If so, I don't think the Aspire has Nautilus as shipped. It could probably be installed, but with all its dependencies it's like to be very large, I would think.

kevin, Sep 18, 2008
  4. krapivka

eti

i tried to install nautilus through yum, but i got 2 error installing gnome-menus.
    i hope there is a onelinux iso available soon because there i tried it successfully :)

eti, Sep 18, 2008
  5. krapivka

Poelsa

Anyone gotten dropbox to work? As far as i can see from their pages, it is built for fedora 9, will it work on the one?

Downloaded the source, but when i yum for the files it returns these answers:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install libnautilus-extension-dev
    livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    updates-newkey 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
    updates 100% |=========================| 2.6 kB 00:00
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package libnautilus-extension-dev available.
    Nothing to do
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install libnotify-dev
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package libnotify-dev available.
    Nothing to do

Poelsa, Oct 14, 2008
  6. krapivka

madhatter

Hi, using the aspire one, Linpus,

I was able to install the Dropbox windows version via wine.

I don't have the gui but the Directory I set in the installation is now synced with my windows Directories.
    So I consider this as working.

Andreas

madhatter, Oct 19, 2008
  7. krapivka

deps32

I tried wine but couldn't install dropbox under it. It came up with errors. Eventually, though, I've managed to install just the daemon from the 32 bit link.
    And it works! the Documents folder is now synced. There is no GUI so you have to just trust it is doing its stuff.

The problems I was having were just down to my own inexperience with linux. For other users who know as little as me, here's what I found to work:

Download the tar.gz file from here: http://www.getdropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86

This will put it in the Downloads folder (unless you changed the default).

Open a terminal at that folder (or type "cd Downloads")

Untar and unzip the file using command: "tar xvfz dropbox-lnx.x86-0.6.382.tar.gz"

This will extract to a hidden folder in Downloads called .dropbox-dist
    View hidden files in the file manager via the View menu. Then cut the hidden dropbox file and paste it into /home/user/

Finally execute the dropboxd file inside /home/user/.dropbox-dist and the log in/ new user screen should appear! Plain sailing from there.

I'm sure there are quicker ways to go about this, but I don't know them yet!

deps32, Oct 21, 2008
  8. krapivka

Poelsa

So, I was installing through wine, worked perfectly. Only thing is that I want it to start at system boot, but I really have no idea how to do this. Can anybody please help me with this issue?
    --edit--
    Well, now I installed the linux version, and it works well too, but I still would like to start it at boot

Poelsa, Nov 17, 2008
  9. krapivka

anzbevrct

Bump!

anzbevrct, Dec 2, 2008
  10. krapivka

joj141

Hi, Would you ever be so kind as to tell me how you got dropbox to work on Wine? I have wine installed through the package manager but when I run the windows exe to install dropbox it runs into a bunch or errors and asks me to look and a log file for the errors. (I am still using Linpus Lite.)

Now, you question: run xfce4-autostart-editor and add a new entry. The first two boxes are filled in 'as you wish' and the for the third you browse to the dropbox.exe (or whatever) file. finding it could be the trickey part...

Thanks, John

joj141, Jan 24, 2009
  11. krapivka

joj141

joj141, Jan 24, 2009
  12. krapivka

Queseuq

I'm having a little trouble with this bit. I've set it to start the dropbox linux daemon, dropboxd, but it just flashes at startup and doesn't stick around. However when I run the exact same command from a terminal it works. As a linux newbe I have no idea where to go from here.

EDIT: Well, got it sorted. Had to add a command to run dropboxd at the end of /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh . I am curious if I'm the only one having problems with xfce4-autostart-editor? Could this become a problem? I've tried to work out the startup sequence of Linpus Lite but it doesn't seem to match what I'm reading on the Web about other distros, I'm going to have to start a new thread about that...

Queseuq, Jan 26, 2009
  13. krapivka

lighans

It worked for me, so you are a great linux guru ;)
    And a nice system tray icon. Wonder if it is still there after reboot.
    Thanks a lot.

lighans, Mar 3, 2009
  14. krapivka

basily

I used the "/etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh" thing and it worked. But I'm wondering, what the heck does that file do???

basily, Aug 25, 2009
Ask a Question