Dropped my AAO

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by nlar, Jan 11, 2009.

1. nlar

nlar

I carry my AAO around the house when I am surfing as I go from room to room because it is so handy. I was heading to the bathroom (Who needs books and magazines any more with this little baby) and I tripped on the edge of the rug, as I went down the AAO flew through the air in SLOW MOTION with the lid open and it landed on the side. I almost cried, when I picked it up the screen was blank and everything was off. When I regained my composure and held her tight in my arms, I figured I'm going to have to buy a new one after this little episode. There doesn't appear to be any cosmetic damage and when I hit the start button it rebooted and everything has worked fine for the last three hours. I have seen where there is a difference between the SSD and the HDD (I have the HDD 160) as far as being able to take a shock of this kind. Is there anything I can check to see if there is any internal damage or just keep using it and see what happens? Thanks!

nlar, Jan 11, 2009
  2. nlar

Huw

If there'd been any significant internal damage, it wouldn't be working. If you've been happily using it for three hours, clearly you got very lucky!

You're right, the SSD as a replacement for a HDD means there are very few, if any, moving parts in the unit. This is undoubtedly what saved you. I wouldn't go throwing it at the walls though! :D

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  3. nlar

ihartley

Most HDDs are now shock resistant to 200-300Gs, which is a BIG shock. Some even come with free-fall sensors which park the heads when they detect falling so they auto-park. Your screen will go long before then

I'd be much more worried about SSD re-write errors and normal HDD operating errors than shocks. Anyone working in IT will know that drives fail all teh time for no reason - even running RAID 10 on a 4 drive array at home I've had 1 drive fail in 2 years.

Nice juggling :D

ihartley, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question