Dual Book Win XP & 7... 30 Second Countdown at Startup...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by thesecitylights, Apr 23, 2009.

1. thesecitylights

thesecitylights

Hey everyone.

I took the plunge last night and installed windows 7 on a new partition on my A150.

Installation all went great and everything looks great! (Apart from my wireless connection dropping every now and then)

Thing is, I want my A150 to load XP as default OS (I have made it so it will load XP as default after the 30 second countdown)
    but the I want it to load XP after maybe a 3 second wait or so. I dont wanna have to press enter everytime I boot my Acer, and I know I want XP to load pretty much every time I boot my puter.

Anyway, the short of it all is... Can I change the 30 second countdown to be 3 seconds? Whats the easiest way?

This is my boot.ini at this moment (Looks odd to me with that new text at the top!)

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I also changed the options by going to Control Panel, System and choosing advanced, settings and changing the options to 3 seconds, tried rebooting but still wants to wait 30 seconds.

Any help?

thesecitylights, Apr 23, 2009
  2. thesecitylights

thesecitylights

Just thought I'd update to say that I fixed this using Vista Boot Pro.

I also got it to change from saying "Earlier version of windows" at boot screen to say "Windows XP". So it looks really rather smart now as its loads up looking like this ....

Windows XP
    Windows 7

I think thats pretty cool!

Anyway, I changed the boot to load XP after 3 seconds now. So I just have to be quick if I change my mind whilst booting my Acer.

thesecitylights, Apr 23, 2009
  3. thesecitylights

Tamrac

Actually going to the advanced settings in My Computer has boot options for you to shorten or eliminate the countdown hehehe. But since you already found a fix.... :)

Tamrac, Apr 24, 2009
  4. thesecitylights

thesecitylights

I tried that but it didnt seem to work. I didnt try it in Windows 7 though. Only in XP. Maybe thats where I went wrong!

thesecitylights, Apr 24, 2009
  5. thesecitylights

Mopeto

In windows 7, run "CMD" with admin priviligies.
    Type: bcdedit /timeout 3
    Enter, ??? , Profit....

Learn to bcdedit.

Mopeto, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question