Dual Boot Linpus and XP - Idiots' Guide

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aresby, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Aresby

Aresby

That's why I bought the 1Gb 120Mb Disk version because I knew I would be putting XP on it (didn't know about Windows 7 at the time but this is now on the cards too!).

Getting it apart is straightforward if you follow the various guides on the Internet. Getting the keyboard off requires a certain knack, I understand, without either snapping some retaining clips or ripping some cables loose.

Not for the fainthearted!

Aresby, Jul 22, 2009
  2. Aresby

larkim

Tonights updates....

As far as I can tell, everything working sweetly. Installed the recommended updates from MS, but also installed several optional updates - one for a Realtek driver update (I don't use a wired LAN, so won't be testing this one) and one for the Intel graphics. The graphics one is mildly interesting, as Windows 7 wouldn't successfully run the "Performance Information" benchmarks without that update. Once that was installed, it all ran fine.

My AAO benchmarked as "1.0" on their bizarre scale of 1.0 to 7.9 - that was the score for the Aero capability, though as far as I could see Aero ran OK (not brilliant). As it happens I've turned off Aero just to eek more power out of the box. Bear in mind I have only 512mb in my AAO.

Anyway, no problems - Skype runs, webcam fine, sound fine. I've installed the ext2 IFS driver by using the compatability wizard to fool the ext2 IFS driver thinking it was working under Win XP. Other apps seem to work OK, and I've now deleted the Windows.old folder to save some space

Matt

larkim, Jul 22, 2009
  3. Aresby

larkim

Forgot to mention - the Wifi led now flashes dependent on the level of activity over the network and the function key combinations in terms of volume up / down, mouse on / off etc do work. Also the driver for the graphics doesn't appear to allow for output to secondary screen, though that might be that as I didn't have an additional VGA cable connected at the time that that option wasn't made available.

Matt

larkim, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Aresby

dj_steve

the intel drivers for win 7 are not particually mature yet and i dont think all their features are active (secondary display etc ) so that may be why
    edit: thats a low score, i got 2.3 or something on my one but thats with 1.5gb ram

dj_steve, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Aresby

ahab

Is there a small enough version of XP to fit on my aspire 1 with the original 8GB SSDrive + a 16GB SD card?
    thanks, ahab.

ahab, Jan 1, 2010
  6. Aresby

Aresby

I would have thought that the standard XP installation would not take more than about 3Gb and would therefore fit onto the AAO.

Try installing XP on a spare disk on a standard desktop PC to see exactly how big the footprint is if you cannot elicit further replies here.

Alternatively explore the Bart PE (preinstallation environment) system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE) that allows you to tweak the XP installation and remove items you don't want to install. That would reduce the footprint too.

Aresby, Jan 5, 2010
  7. Aresby

dj_steve

xp doesnt like SSDs much either and it cant do what linpus does with a ext sd card (the card just shows up as seperate drive)

dj_steve, Jan 5, 2010
  8. Aresby

Aresby

I believe there is a setting for using XP with SSDs - not sure what it is but it supposedly speeds up XP to near hard disk speed. I'm sure someone knows what it is! (Try Google).

You could use the SD card (other drive letter) for the My Documents folder? As long as you bought a nice fast SD card this could be quite speedy.

Or, finally, replace the SSD with a proper hard disk!

Aresby, Jan 6, 2010
  9. Aresby

sirwiggum

This guide;

http://jargongeneration.com/AcerAspire/ ... /index.php

was tremendous help, especially when fixing and installing the new grub loader.

Has anyone installed the burg loader? I put this on a mint/7 combo and it looked great on startup, wondering if anyone tried it on linpus/xp on an acer?

sirwiggum, Sep 30, 2010
  10. Aresby

poor1

Can someone please give the link to Idiots Guide

poor1, Mar 13, 2011
Ask a Question