Dual Boot Linpus and XP - Idiots' Guide

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aresby, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Aresby

lostincyberspace

I can go online no problem. There just seems to be somthing redirecting me when I try to go on various sites and blocking my attempts to update antivirus software and windows. I did manage to do an online virus scan (panda soft) and it came up with XMSS.exe Win32 AutoRun worm on my system. Ive tried to get rid of it using verious methods online but none have worked.
    As this has happened on both computers i used to do the duel boot i assume that somthing i have downloaded has infected them.

If i try to go to windows update i end up on a "google english" page which i think must be a spoof as its address is http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, i also get sent to bediddle.com alot and msm.

Is it time to re-format and start again now i know how to do it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lostincyberspace, Jan 9, 2009
  2. Aresby

dj_steve

you need to get rid of the virus first befiore trying to reformat otherwise it'll come back :)

dj_steve, Jan 10, 2009
  3. Aresby

Aresby

A British understatement if ever I heard one!

Aresby, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Aresby

Aresby

This sounds like typical virus behaviour.

Well, now you have a bootable partition all you need do is reinstall Windows (ie boot from CD, select the existing XP partition which should now be identified correctly as sda2, and choose to overwrite the existing installation.

After reinstallation and BEFORE you connect to the Internet, install a good firewall and anti-virus product. And stop visiting those dodgy sites! And never, ever install anything or your computer (esp. from a website) that you do not absolutely know to be OK.

Post back your progress here so we can all have a giggle, er, learn from your experiences. :mrgreen:

Aresby, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Aresby

dj_steve

personally id boot into safe mode with networking and try update see if that works

dj_steve, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Aresby

Aresby

Yes, certainly worth a try, but if it is a virus (and it seems more and more likely) then unless it can be quarantined it will remain forever!

Might be quicker just to reinstall XP (about 40 minutes + drivers, say 1 hour in total? You could be chasing that damn virus for hours and hours and...)

Aresby, Jan 10, 2009
  7. Aresby

dj_steve

agreed BUT if its an autoorun virus (ive heard of them) ad it installs itself from a usb pen/floppy/cd thats infected pc will just get reinfected as soon as said key is used - better idea before a reformat is safe mode with netowkring and try updateof av/spyware scanner if update works then scan entire pc and any recently used usb pensetc to clean them then reinstall

dj_steve, Jan 10, 2009
  8. Aresby

lostincyberspace

tried that and it failed completely.

lostincyberspace, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Aresby

lostincyberspace

hold ya sides and get a bucket! you might well piss yourself at this. :lol: :lol:

i reinstalled xp no-problems. it was booting straight into xp so i tried to boot from gparted to get back into linpus and.......................... :oops: :evil: :cry: now i just get a blank screen, no cursor, sod all infact .........one dead computer.

ive always wanted a blue plastic paper weight! :lol:

sod it im going down the pub.

lostincyberspace, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Aresby

dj_steve

Sounds like acers common bios screw up. Lots of links on here to fix it

dj_steve, Jan 10, 2009
  11. Aresby

JoJo

Can't install windows

Hi,

I have the hal.dll error. When I try to solve it following the instructions I get an error when i type this into the XTERM window: umount /dev/sda2 . The error is something like this: umount: /dev/sda2 not mounted

Can somebody help me

JoJo, Jan 11, 2009
  12. Aresby

Aresby

If you have followed ALL the other instructions on the screen (ie you have successfully edited your boot.ini) then just skip that command.

Post back your progress, good or bad...

Aresby, Jan 11, 2009
  13. Aresby

JoJo

If I get back to step 11 it still gives me the hal.dll error

JoJo, Jan 11, 2009
  14. Aresby

lostincyberspace

tried one fix but have probably do it wrong as it hasn't worked.

when i do macles method the start button flashes then goes solid but no restart. Does the memory stick need to be bootable or do i just drop the flashit.exe and the renamed 3305.BAT files on it .

if anyone else wants me to destroy their AAO then ill be happy to do so. :?

lostincyberspace, Jan 11, 2009
  15. Aresby

dj_steve

my aao has had the bsod(Black screen of death) and usb trick worked fine, make sure you name the file EXACTLY etc or it wont work and it does take\a while (i waiting a good 5 min for mine

dj_steve, Jan 11, 2009
  16. Aresby

Aresby

Remember that you should not need to restart by installing from the Windows CD - you should now be booting from the Windows hard disk partition.

You will need the CD drive still connected (with XP CD inserted) but don't press the keyboard when it says "Press any key to boot from CD..." otherwise you may end up in the same situation and have to edit the boot.ini again!

Aresby, Jan 11, 2009
  17. Aresby

JoJo

I made a bootable USB key. But when I boot from my HDD it gives me this error:

JoJo, Jan 11, 2009
  18. Aresby

Guest Guest

Re: Can't install windows

I got this when I followed Arseby's steps. Was a bit concerned, but just carried on. Everything worked at the end though.

Guest, Jan 11, 2009
  19. Aresby

JoJo

Somebody got a solution?

JoJo, Jan 12, 2009
  20. Aresby

Aresby

I think you will have to be clearer what the problem is; you mention you made a bootable USB key but have a problem when booting from the hard disk?

I don't understand the connection. Are you following the Idiot's Guide? At what point do you get the problem?

Aresby, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question