Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Super Bloob, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Super Bloob

Super Bloob

Hey I have an Aspire One with xp on it but I would like to dual boot it with ubuntu does any one know any guides of installing and dual boot with the aspire one.

Super Bloob, Jan 24, 2009
  2. Super Bloob

tmn72tx

It is very easy to do. This is easiest if you have access to another PC. Download Ubuntu ISO and burn the image to the CD using a program that supports ISO writing (like Ahead Nero). Boot to the CD, not making any changes to the computer. One of the icons will be to create a bootable USB key. Create the key.

Install the USB key in the Aspire laptop and boot to the USB key (click F12 at the BIOS boot up screen).

The Ubuntu system will walk you through the setup, dual boot, partitioning the drive and everything. You will have to go to the Ubuntu support forums for Acer Aspire to get the wireless working (a little tweaking) and a few of the programs don't resize well for the Acer Aspire screen, but overall it works very nicely.

There is a quite a bit more of this already on the forum, but hopefully the two-second version helps.

Good luck!

tmn72tx, Jan 24, 2009
  3. Super Bloob

PeterO

Is this setup possible?

Is it possible to have Linpus on the main SSD and have Windows XP reside on the Storage Expansion slot?

Second, if so, how is it done with Linpus already installed on the Acer Aspire One? In other words, every post I have come across provide Dual Boot instructions for installing Linux ( specifically Ubuntu) on a Aspire One that currently has Windows XP. Thanks.

PeterO, Jan 25, 2009
  4. Super Bloob

tmn72tx

I don't think you could use the Storage Expansion. It isn't one of the options to boot from in the BIOS.

Here is a similar post to what you are asking. Hopefully this has the answer:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8944&hilit=win+xp+usb

Best of luck!

tmn72tx, Jan 25, 2009
  5. Super Bloob

PeterO

Re: Dual Boot for 8GB SSD

Thanks tmn72tx for the reply. I checked out the link - most excellent. Thanks again.

It is my understanding that the Storage Expansion (SE) slot increases the size of the *single* drive. In other words, SSD (Solid State Drive) + SE = one drive partition under Linpus.

I wonder if it is possible to use the GParted Linux software to create another partition on the SE slot for Windows XP. In other words Linpus gets all (or most) of the SSD and WIndows XP the SE space.

It's not clear how the SE slot comes into play. The links provide examples/their experiences doing a dual boot for a 120/160GB hard drive. Partitioning only the SSD for Linpus and WIn XP would be a tight fit for 8GB of space.

PeterO, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question