dual booting Mandriva with XP ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alexMobile, Jan 11, 2009.

1. alexMobile

alexMobile

Hey, I just tried Ubuntu 8.10 on my Aspire, not very satisfied at all (First I put it on my desktop, very pleased, but the One's various issues and VERY unreliable wifi are pissing me off). Id like to try out one more linux distro, and it looks like mandriva might be the one to try. I want to have some kind of stable system though so Im wondering if its possible to dual boot mandriva with XP the same way its possible to with ubuntu. And side question, KDE or Gnome ? Sell me an answer.

alexMobile, Jan 11, 2009
  2. alexMobile

donec

I haven't tried to dual boot Mandriva and XP since I have left XP for good. However! Looking around here on the forum you will see that the KDE version needs more work to get it running right. I use Mandriva 2009 Gnome and it is very stable for me. The suspend or hibernate feature does not work for me but I think that is due to the fact I use a 16Gb SDHC card for my home partition.

You don't say if you have the SSD or HD version. If it is the SSD version then I recommend you get the backup solution that Rbil came up with. You can get it from his blog at....
    http://aaobackup.blogspot.com/2008/10/purchase-just-software-2000-cad.html

donec, Jan 11, 2009
  3. alexMobile

alexMobile

sorry about that, I have the 120gb, 1gb XP version. Is the install as easy as Ubuntu, do you know ?

alexMobile, Jan 12, 2009
  4. alexMobile

donec

I have not installed Mandriva with XP but the install of Mandriva by it's self is easier than Ubuntu by it's self.

donec, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question