Dualboot XP ontop of Linpus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Wez, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Wez

Wez

I bought the 120GB/1GB Linpus version of the Aspire One and I cant find any tutorials that shows how I could install (and dualboot) XP.

I've searched the forums, and I see people talking about doing it, but nobody says how, and the links provided are for installing XP with Ubuntu preinstalled and so the HowTo doesn't work :(

Basically I like Linpus alot, so I want to keep it for web-browsing/MSN/Word Processing etc. - Simple tasks
    but out of the 120gb drive, I'd only need 20GB for Linux,
    So I'm wondering how I can use the other 100GB (well... 90) for XP to run some Windows apps I use (basically a few old PC games that WINE complains about)

If anyone can make a guide or show me one it'd be muchly appreciated.
    I've searched the forums & googled but cant find anything helpful :(

Wez, Sep 29, 2008
  2. Wez

inspired one

Me too, I'd like a hand with this if anyone can help...

I was planning on partitioning the hard drive with a partition manager tool I downloaded, and then install XP onto the new partition using an external DVD drive.

Before I proceed, does anyone know if this will 'screw the pooch'?

I really don't want to break my new toy, but really need xp to do some essential work on my aspire...

Please help!

Thanks, Russ

inspired one, Oct 16, 2008
  3. Wez

scutter

I've just ordered mine and would also like to do this.

I've seen an installation of XP on U Tube. I have a USB extrenal hard drive and wondered if there was a way of copying the XP disc onto this and doing it that way?

{:mad:?

scutter, Oct 22, 2008
  4. Wez

plwweasel

I have the win xp 160G version of the AA1 and want to run Linpus + XP. Did your AA1 come with a Linpus CD? If so, can I get it from you?

thanks,
    philwil

plwweasel, Oct 25, 2008
  5. Wez

ocmer

I managed to install XP and MacOSX to my AAO, while keeping Linpus. I didn't make notes while doing this, so i'm not sure whether my HowTo is completely correct. Note: you need some Linux-knowledge; If you don't, please don't try this at home :)

1. Make room on the harddisk: repartition
    First you have to shrink the Linpus partition, to make room for an XP-partition. I used GParted to do this. GParted can be found on RescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page). You can but this on an USB-stick and boot from it. Then, using GParted, you can shrink the Linpus-partition, e.g. to 50GB and create a new partition for XP.

2. Install XP
    Next install XP, you can find plenty of guides on this forum. When the XP-installation asks which drive to install XP on, choose the new partition you created.

3. Reinstall GRUB
    Now comes the tricky part: XP probably screwed GRUB. GRUB needs to be fixed to double/triple-boot. To fix this: boot using the RescueCD.

Mount the Linpus-partition: E.g.
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/a
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/a
    Normally, the command "grub-install" would fix the problem, but because you booted from the USB-stick, this command would fix GRUB on the USB-stick. You should tell GRUB to install on the Linpus-partition:
    Code:
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/a /dev/sda
    4. Add XP to grub
    Next, add XP to the grub-menu, e.g. using vi. I also had to create a symbolic link to menu.lst, becuase grub suddenly was expecting that file instead of grub.conf?
    Code:
    cd /mnt/a/boot/grub/
    ln –s grub.conf menu.lst
    vi grub.conf
    My grub.conf looks like
    Code:
    default=1
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Linpus Linux
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1 vga=0x311 splash=silent 
    initrd /boot/initrd-splash.img

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    5. Reboot
    Now reboot without the USB-stick, and a nice grub-menu should appear, allowing you to choose between Linpus and XP.

I hope I reconstructed the essential parts correctly, however i can't give any guarantees; so i'd recommend making a backup first.

ocmer, Oct 25, 2008
  6. Wez

scutter

Oooh thanks for that.
    Will try and have a crack at that when I have more time!

All the best!
    {:mad:>

scutter, Oct 25, 2008
  7. Wez

scutter

Hi,
    I have the disc, but it is sealed and don't really want to open it, in case I decide to sell my Aspire One.

You could always download it from :
    http://www.linpus.com/download_1_1.php
    It is 154MB, so will easily fit on a memory stick?

All the best,

scutter, Oct 25, 2008
  8. Wez

plwweasel

I'm pretty sure the Linpus used by Acer has a customized kernel and the Acer ISO for the SSD version does not work with hard drive version. That's why I'm trying to find someone who bought the hard drive version with Linpus.

philwil

plwweasel, Oct 26, 2008
  9. Wez

scutter

...mine IS the hard drive version 120gb. :?:

scutter, Oct 26, 2008
  10. Wez

toymom

I am a newbie, but I need windows as the Linpus lite is driving me mad! Do I have to buy a version of windows to install it or can I get it somewhere? is therre step by step directions that I will understand somewhere?

toymom, Dec 29, 2008
  11. Wez

scutter

You will need to buy a copy of Windows XP or Vista, unless you have a spare copy, as you will need the product key.

There are two ways of installing it onto your AA1:

1) Buy an external USB hard drive and use that to load the CD or DVD

2) You can copy the files to a USB memory stick and load the files from there.

If you search in these forums and on U tube, you will find instructions on how to do this.

I never bothered installing XP myself as I'm quite happy using Linux. Firefox is a great internet browser and you can convert Open Office files for use in Mirosoft Office.
    It reallt depends on what you want your AA1 for?

All the best,

scutter, Dec 29, 2008
  12. Wez

toymom

I just can't seem to run the things i want to, maybe there is something wrong with my AAO?

toymom, Dec 29, 2008
  13. Wez

scutter

There is much on them?
    Internet, mail open office and the messenger program.

The only other option would be to check that you have the Linpus recovery disks and reload from there?

{:mad:.

scutter, Dec 29, 2008
  14. Wez

scutter

scutter, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question