dualbooting a D150, seem to have lost windows.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by stabu, Jan 30, 2010.

1. stabu

stabu

Hi,

I'm not really a beginner, cos I had a linpus A110 before, and I never did any partitioning on it.

this time I got windows xp and a 160G disk, but I wanted linux so I went for archlinux and went about resizing the existing windows xp using ntfsresize.

I tested this and everything worked. WIndows recognised the new (smaller) partition with few complaints. Along the way I noticed that the d150 has a first partition dedicated to compaq diagnostics, so I worrying how grub might be ablt to boot windows.

However when I took to using the linux fdisk utility, I deleted the 2nd (windows) partition and created a smaller one in its place. I say smaller, but large enough (with a bit to spare) to hold the resized winxp.

Despite not touching the MBR, windows failed to boot when I tested immediately after using fdisk. Black screen and HD light flashing. I surmised that the MBR had got messed up so I went ahead and installed linux on a third partition and grub into the MBR of the hard disk.

What I'm able to do now is boot into linux no problem. Also I can boot into the Compaq diagnostics no problem either. But I can't boot into my previous windows at all ebven using "rootnoverify (hd0,1)" in grub's menu.lst.

Anybody had similar experiences? ANy comments welcome. thank you.

stabu, Jan 30, 2010
  2. stabu

stabu

Ask a Question