DVD installation question (Win7)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Eosblue, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Eosblue

Eosblue

I FINALLY just about ready to pull the trigger on installing Windows 7 from a DVD onto a blank HD. I finally was able to get into CMOS to change the order of booting. Is the correct procedure to select "USB DVD" as the top item in the boot sequence followed by the internal HD?

A question a little off this subject, but in the same ballpark is restoring an hard drive "image" from an external HD. Once again, it will be necessary to be able to boot from a CD/DVD in order to restore from my "image" file on another external HD. Would ANY bootable CD/DVD work for this procedure? I assume I have to somehow end up at a C prompt, switch to the HD with the image file and the run the program that will copy the stored image back to the C hard drive.

Eosblue, Nov 5, 2009
  2. Eosblue

fauxpas

Yes, the usb dvd then hdd. It will detect a bootable disk and ask you if you want to boot from it to press a key which you do... When it reboots during the install and it asks you again if you want to boot from the dvd you don't press a key...

fauxpas, Nov 5, 2009
  3. Eosblue

Eosblue

OPPPS...

For some reason, Electronicia sent me a PATA drive instead of a SATA. So, I'm going to have to reorder this morning. Since I will be starting fresh, will the 751h support a 7200 RPM unit and if so, would I see a noticeable performance gain?

AND would a 7200 RPM unit make a noticeable difference in battery drain?

PS I was surprised how easily the HD is to remove! :)

Eosblue, Nov 5, 2009
  4. Eosblue

Guest Guest

Don't think you will gain anything by installing a 7200 drive, other than it uses more battery. If you want performance the only thing is to go for SSD.

Guest, Nov 5, 2009
  5. Eosblue

Drjones

1) Check out this utility to install windows 7 from a USB memory stick: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

It worked great for me!

2) I do not believe you will see any performance boost at all from either a SSD nor a 7200RPM drive because I think there is a SATA to PATA converter on the motherboard, which means that any speed bottleneck will be caused by the mother board, not the hard drive. You could hook up a 10,000 RPM drive and not see any performance boost because the mobo will only process the data at PATA speeds.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the construction of the 751.

Drjones, Nov 5, 2009
Ask a Question