DVD installation question (Win7)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Eosblue, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Eosblue

Eosblue

I FINALLY just about ready to pull the trigger on installing Windows 7 from a DVD onto a blank HD. I finally was able to get into CMOS to change the order of booting. Is the correct procedure to select "USB DVD" as the top item in the boot sequence followed by the internal HD?

A question a little off this subject, but in the same ballpark is restoring an hard drive "image" from an external HD. Once again, it will be necessary to be able to boot from a CD/DVD in order to restore from my "image" file on another external HD. Would ANY bootable CD/DVD work for this procedure? I assume I have to somehow end up at a C prompt, switch to the HD with the image file and the run the program that will copy the stored image back to the C hard drive.

Eosblue, Nov 5, 2009
  2. Eosblue

r00n

r00n, Nov 8, 2009
  3. Eosblue

Eosblue

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I have the Win 7 DVD and I have an external DVD. My question had to do with a boot disk for the Acer. I have already made a mirror image of the current XP installation hard drive to an external hard drive. However, if I were to ever use it, it would be necessary to have a boot CD/DVD in order to restore my image from my external hard drive.

So, my question is would ANY boot CD/DVD work with my Acer.

Eosblue, Nov 8, 2009
  4. Eosblue

r00n

Do USB DVD first, boot the netbook and wait till it ask to press a key to continue. You will not get a command prompt when you do it the correct way :)
    As there is nothing installed you can't ruin your installation, so why don't you give it a try. Just boot with the disc and you will get a wizard, exactly the same as you get when you have an internal DVD player. When you don't get the press a key... than you can try the disc in another computer to see if it is working there. Than you had something wrong in your boot sequence.

r00n, Nov 8, 2009
Ask a Question